Chapter Twelve

Third persons pov.

Riley rushed into the hospital and didn't even stop at the front desk. She ran straight to Alec and Kevin, who stood a few feet away. Kevin paced around as Alec sat quietly, both looked at Riley with worried expressions. They stood like that for a moment before tears rushed down her face.

"Come her hun." Kevin said embracing her. "Don't worry Riles, she will be fine. Everything will be ohk."

Just then the doctor walked out the operating room, Alec stood looking at her in anticipation.

"Is she alright?" Riley asked stepping towards the doctor.

"She will be perfectly fine, she just needs alot of rest." The doctor held Rileys shoulder. "She's a very strong woman."

"Thank you." Riley said with a smile. "Can I see her?"

The doctor nodded, "Room 403." And with that the doctor left. The three of them walked to the room the doctor had mentioned. Kevin sighed heavily at the sight of his friend laying on the hospital bed. Riley walked to her side, Alec was unsure of what to do.

"This is so wrong." Stated Kevin. "She looks to fragile, Veronica isn't Fragile." Kevin turned into Alec, who stood behind him and held him tight.

"Yeah." Riley let out a breathy laugh. "She's has always been the strong one. Even after her mother died."

Upon hear this, Alec looked at Veronica curiously. He wondered how is it that her mother had died, who her mother was and what connection did she have with the Black family.

"I have never seen an eleven year old carry so much weight on her shoulders." Riley smiled sadly. "You know she didn't cry at the funeral, instead Veronica made sure that her brother and father were ohk. Luca was six, she never left his side and always held him close."

"How did she die?" Alec asked quietly. Riley looked up at him for a moment before looking back at Veronica.

"She was murdered. The police said that it was an attempted robbery and that Veronica and Lillian were not supposed to be home. But that isn't the true story." Riley stayed quiet for a while before speaking again. "Veronica's father was a businessman, he was away at the time. Which was the perfect time for the attack. Veronica and her mother were playing chess, when they heard a noise. Aunt Lillian sent her up to her brothers room but Veronica would not leave her mother's side. Three men had come after them, her mother killed the one and seriously injured another but the third guy had shot her. Veronica saw the whole thing, she ran to go protect her sleeping brother. After she had hid him, that man came after her. Said that this was all just business and cut her open. From shoulder to hip. She was in hospital for three days, Veronica refused to stay any longer. She wanted to attend the funeral." Riley laughed as tears ran down her face.

"She's still so stubborn and passionate." Riley held her hand, Alec looked at Veronica and finally understood why she was so determined. He would have done the same thing but what he didn't get was why her mother's death sounded to familiar. Where had he heard this?

Veronica maid a groaning noise as she struggled to sit up. Riley pushed her back down gently.

"You cannot be sitting up already." She said slightly irritated.

"You're always to motherly." Veronica said with a horse voice.

"You always manage to look like fuck." Said Kevin laughed. Veronica smiled and winked at him.

"You know me so well." She joked. Veronica's expression had a sudden change, she became for serious as she looked at Alec. "Alec."

"Veronica." He replied.

"May I ask a favor of you?"

"Sure, anything." He said stepping closer.

"I want to set up a meeting with your father, being that I now own his company. You can just tell him I want a formal introduction."

"Um... I mean, yeah sure. I'll set it up for you."

"Thank you." Veronica smiled and again tried to sit up but winced at the pain she was feeling.

"Veronica." Riley called out in alarm. "You cannot be moving like that. Damn it women, what am I to do with you?" Riley fixed the pillows that supported her back. Kevin laughed at how the two acted like a married couple. Just then Alecs phone rung.

"Please excuse me." He said walking out the room as he answered the phone. "What did you find out?"

"You're not going to like this boss." Said the man on the other end.

"There is already so much I don't like about this, Johnathan. One of my friends is now laying in a hospital bed, for christ sack." Alec held the bridge of his nose as he sighed with frustration. "What did you find out?"

"We found the car that was involved in the accident, the owner is nonexistent." There was a pause before Johnathan continued. "But we did find something in the car, as well as a message for Miss Ives."

"Go on."

"Boss, it's Rodriguez. He is coming for Veronica." Alec visibly whitened at the statement.

"Does my brother know of this?"

"No."

"Good keep it that way, thank you Johnathan." Alec hung up and walked back into the room. Veronica looked at him curiously but did not question him. Just then the nurse came in, excusing the three of them. Saying that Veronica needed her rest and asked if they could come back latter that night. Riley promised to come back and stay with her as long as she wished. Veronica's heart felt as if it was hollowed as soon as they left. She laid back and her mind started to drift, eventually leaving her in a dreamless sleep.

Veronica's pov.

I don't know when I had fallen asleep but when I had woken, it was already past ten that night. Riley was sleeping in the couch to the left of the bed. I can't believe she actually slept here. I looked around the room, it was surprisingly spacious. I regrettably need to go use the bathroom. Trying to get up without making to much noise, careful not to wake Riley. Did I mention that it was unbelievably painful. When I had come back into the room, someone stood, hovering over Riley.

"Dont touch her." I said defensively. The figure turned to face me, looking at his face I swore that I had seen it before.

"My my, you don't have to be so hostile my little Lilly." The man gave me a once over and smiled. "I guess you're not so little anymore, now are you." He stated rhetorically.

"Who are you?" I asked stepping closer to the man.

"You really don't remember me." He sighed. "I guess it is to be expected, we last saw each other before your mother's unfortunate death."

Taken aback by this man's knowledge of me, I looked at him for a moment before realizing who he was. Tears formed in my eyes before I could stop them, they ran down my face. I struggled to find the words. I found myself embracing then man that stood in front of me. Hesitantly he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. I did not even care about the pain at the moment, all that mattered was that I was in the arms of the only person that understood me. My mother's brother, my uncle. Alexander Rodriguez.