Chapter Eighteen

Xavier's pov.

"What do you mean the shipment has not come in!?" I shouted. I was currently on the phone with one of the men at the docks. The weapons shipment was supposed to be picked up today but apparently the boats have not arrived.

"Boss, it did come in..." He said shakingly.

"Then what the fuck is the problem, Matteo!?"

"We cannot get it without signing a contract with the people that own the docks."

"What the fuck do you mean!? Winters and my father have an agreement!"

"That's the thing boss, Winters no longer owns the docks. They were sold over to another..."

"Rodriguez!!!" I cut him off.

"No boss, it's a women."

No... I cannot be... How is she involved in all of this?

"Boss, she says that she would like to have a word with you." Matteo said, almost as if he was asking permission.

"Give her the phone." I sighed holding thr bridge of my nose.

"Mister Black, how nice to hear from you." Her silky voice filled my ears, I could hear the smile on her face. She was happy about this, dammit this bitch was taking everything from us. Fist the company, then she raded our wear houses and now this. What is she getting at?

"Miss Ives." I said rather annoyed.

"Oh honey, don't sound so disappointed. Tell you what, let me take you out to lunch. We can have this conversation then." She sounded so confident, it was pissing me off.

"What makes you think that I would want to see you?" Venom dripping off my words, oh how I loathe this women. She laughed at my replay, pissing me off further.

"Come now, Xavier. Be more professional about this, such business should not be handled over the phone." I did not reply, which she took as me agreeing to lunch with her. "I will come by the office in ten. See you then." Without waiting for a reply she hung up.

I was so pissed off by this situation I flipped the table. Lucy my assistant came rushing in, she looked at the mess and sighed. Without saying a word she called the one of the gournd staff members to clean up. I paced the office for a few minutes before getting a message stating that Veronica was waiting downstairs for me. I sighed and started walking out. Once in the car we drove in silence, the soft classical music made this less awkward but the tension was still there. After fifteen minutes of driving, we stopped in front of a Greek restaurant.

"Ives." Was all she said to the man in the front and walked pass him, she did not wait for a waiter to show her to her seating. We sat down at the table furthest from the door and windows. Right in the corner, hidden from any outside views. Clever girl. A petite red head stood at our table.

"Miss Ives, you look beautiful today." She smiled at the brunette in front of me. Veronica just smiled in reply. "May I start you and your date off with some wine." Veronica laughed.

"This man does not have the right qualifications to have such a title." She spoke with a smile. "This is business, Rose but please do bring us today's wine."

For moments we sat in silence, she stared at me but said nothing. Rose came back and filled our glasses before walking away. I cannot say that I wasn't offended by her reply to Rose but that is not why I am here with her.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Veronica asked as she continued to look at me.

"Cut the crap Veronica, we are not here for the damn weather. Which we cannot even see might I add." I spat, starting to lose my patience.

"No." Was all she said and took a sip of her wine.

"Exuse me?" I was taken aback by her short answer.

"Oh don't leave yet, we haven't had something to eat yet." She mocked me. Not even a second later our waitress came back with a plate of food. "I had this prepared for us, I figured you wouldn't have actually come to have a meal. So I had Rose tell the chef's beforehand. Your brother said that you haven't been eating." There was a hint of concern in her voice but none on her face.

It is true that I haven't had an actual meal in a few days but Veronica's actions have truly shocked me. Why would she care about someone whose life she is ruining. Looking down at the food, I felt myself grow hungrier and the smell wasn't helping at all. Veronica tilted her head indicating that I should eat, what do I have to loose? Taking a bite of food, I almost melted. The taste was absolutely perfect.

"Thank you Rose." Veronica broke the silence and watched as Rose left. "I do apologize."

"For?" I asked, as I was confused as to why she would be apologizing.

"My business is not with you but your father, Xavier. However you have proven to be a problem, I do not need a problem roaming freely." She took a sip of her wine. "So here is what you will do, you will join me and help me to achieve my goals."

"No deal." I said putting down my knife. Veronica smiled for a split second before becoming deathly serious.

"I don't remember asking you, Xavier." The way she had said my name caused chilled to run down my spine. Her big brown eyes, seemed to have been looking into my soul. Suddenly the air felt cold. "You will either help me or die alongside with those who stand against me."

"Is that a threat, miss Ives?" Veronica laughed at my reply.

"I don't make threats, Xavier." Before I could react Veronica had a gun between my eyes. "If you will not join me then you will die right here."

Fear ran through my body, but it was not caused by the gun but rather from the person holding it. Veronica held no expression, none was detracted in her voice either. But her eyes, they struck fear in me. They had gone darker, almost black now. I couldn't bring myself to move, how was this happening, why was this happening? I knew something was familiar about this women but never could really grasp what it was. Now here I sit finally understanding what it was. She reminded me of a childhood friend of mine. Both so determined and fierce. Only difference is this women was one of the sexiest I have ever seen.

"So what will it be?" Veronica asked bringing me out my head.

"I will join you." My mouth spoke before my brain could react. What had I just given to her?

"That's perfect." She smiled and put the gun away. "I really wasn't in the mood to wash your brain out my hair."