Chapter Thriteen

Veronica's pov.

Finally out the hospital, they kept me there for three weeks. Riley was hell bent on getting me to stay another week but thankfully my doctor and ensured her that I was all set to go. It feels so good to be outside, being outside is worth the lulling pain from the injuries.

"Veronica!" I heard Kevin shout from the other end of the parking lot. I smiled and waved, Kevin ran towards me and picked me up into an uncomfortable hug, but I didn't mind. I missed him.

"Kev, you're hurting me." I said a few moments after I could no longer feel the ground.

"Oh, damn. I'm sorry hun." He put me down and we walked to his car, Riley sat waiting for us. She must be exhausted. Riley had not left my side then entire time I was here, even when she had to go get a fresh set of clothing. She phone Johnathan to go pick some up for her, Kevin came over as often as he could. I mean him being busy with school and all, he was even kind enough to bring me my assignments. Kevin is just the best. Riley completed her course two years ago but kept studying for her PhD. Now I got a best friend who's a doctor of child psychology.

"So what are we doing now?" I asked as we drove off.

"I don't know, what you got planned for us Kevin?" Riley asked as she layed back.

"Actually girls, I cannot do anything with you'll tonight." Both Riley and I looked at him with a questionable expression. "Alec is taking me to go see Hamlet." I smiled as Riley squealed. I am so happy that those two are together.

"I am so jealous." Riley sighed. "Johnathan has been so busy with work lately. He keeps going on about some person that is making his work so much more stressful. I miss the less stressed him."

"I know what you mean, girl." Kevin said looking at her through the rear view mirror. "Tonight was Alecs only free night. But enough about this. We don't want miss independent to feel left out." He nudged me and Riley giggled behind me.

"I don't know what you guys are talking about." I looked at the two of them. "I am perfectly capable of being happy by myself."

"Said the vergin." Retorted Riley. Kevin burst out into laughter.

"You can just drive." I poked Kevin. "I don't understand what you have to be so crude, Riley."

"You don't know what you're missing till you have an eight inch..."

"Woah!" I shouted cutting her off. "You can talk like that when I don't know the boy. Now can we please get off this topic, I really need such images of the men associated with the Black family in my head."

"Speaking of the. Xavier came by your place yesterday." Said Kevin nonchalantly.

"Vic, is there something that you're not telling me?" Asked Riley.

"What the hell, Riley? You seriously cannot be hoping for any kind of union between me and that neanderthal."

"Well..." Kevin said slyly next to me.

"What is that..." before I could finish the sentance I noticed an exotic car standing in our driveway. "Who is that!?" I exasperated.

"Speak of the devil." I heard Riley mutter from behind me. And as life would have it, the statement was true. There in front of my door stood a tall and proud Xavier Black. He looked rather fetching in in his all black attire.

Getting out the car with a slight lag, I met Xavier at the doorway. Not giving him a single glance as I stepped into the house, I heard Kevin invite him in before giving me a kiss on the cheek goodbye. As he was going to get ready for his date tonight. Riley glanced between Xavier and I before excusing herself. Winking at me before she left with a sly smile.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I asked truning my back to him. There was no reply, I turned to face Xavier. Not knowing that he stood right behind me. Bumping into his chest, I stumbled back into the counter. "I am sorry." I quietly spoke, looking down at my feet. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, I did not understand what was I feeling at this moment.

Xavier placed my chin between his fingers and turned my head so that I was looking up at him. His intense green eyes seemed to have darkened. Neither of us dared to break the silence. Slowly he lowered his head to the point where our lips were mere millimeters apart.

"You should not apologize." His voice low and smooth as he spoke. "Although I do enjoy it. But it does not siut you, darling." I could not for the life of me understand why his words had affected me this much. Slowly he moved his hand, brushing over my cheeks and with his free hand he held my waist.

"These bruises really don't do you justice, Veronica. Such a beautiful young lady should never be hurt." I still had not said a word, my eyes locked on his. As they commanded me not to look away. "You remind me of a lilly." My body stiffened. "So soft and delicate, even your scent is a sweet."

"Xavier." I crocked nervously.

"Yes, my lilly."

There was another moment of silence before Xavier had made contact with my lips. The capture of the kiss had ckught me off guard. It was not as demanding as the one from the night of the ball. This one was more tender, soft, almost... Loving. I was completely shocked but what had been for of a surprise, was the fact that I was kissing him back.