06; an unlikely face

A M I T Y

You know those midnight adventures authors rave about when writing teen fiction, how the unlikely couple go out just for the hell of it. They do some illegal stuff, do some stuff out of their comfort zone, and then end up on the bonnet of a car somewhere talking about their ambitions and dreams. The people who create these magical scenes want the readers to believe that this is possible and is within their reach.

But it's all bull shit.

First of all, who goes out at midnight after being asleep? If someone woke me up tossing rocks at my window at midnight, I would probably drop a large brick on their head, or call the cops. Secondly, if you are going to do some illegal stuff, why not just do it whenever? Go break someone's mailboxes with a bat in the middle of the day, it's more of a thrill. And thirdly, why the fuck are you lying on a car bonnet in the middle of nowhere talking about dreams that mainly consist of; "I want to be free!" You aren't a bloody bird, free yourself. Talking about it in the early hours of the morning on a car will not help.

After I so generously asked Calum to leave the party with me, all we did was walk the streets and sipped on the alcohol for about 10 minutes... before we both were too drunk and tired to comprehend what either of us were saying anymore. So we said goodbye and we left each other and that was it. There were no fireworks, no goodbye kiss, no lengthy speech expressing our deep feelings we were too scared to tell the rest of society.

So to the authors of those shit teen fiction novels, I say fuck you. You are unrealistic, and you constantly match the jock with the freak and somehow they bring out the best in each other.

Calum and Amity started that night and ended that night. That was it, there would be no breaking the strict rules of society so we could start the revolution. Not going to happen, not even in the lamest teen fiction book ever. 

It was getting close to the end of school on Monday. I'm sitting on a bench out on the grass with Michael, as we skip class like usual. We had been talking about the party and what he got up to, but I decided to skimp out on the details of what I did all night. Luckily, he didn't suspect a thing.

Michael reached into his backpack, pulling out a single cigarette. He looked up at me and raised his eyebrow, gesturing towards the cigarette. I silently shook my head, not wanting to make smoking become a daily routine to myself, like it had so easily became to him. Accepting my answer, he grabbed his black lighter out of his jumper pocket and lit the smoke up. 

"I have one more strike until I'm kicked out of here for good." Michael laughed, examining the smoke before wrapping his lips around it and inhaling the smoke. 

"And you're sitting here, skipping class whilst smoking because you want to be expelled?" I scoffed, shaking my head at him. He exhaled, the smoke coming out similar to a whirlwind.

"Not really, I do want to finish high school I guess. Just can't be fucked with last period maths with Mrs Arden rambling on about her bunions on her feet and how she believes maths can fix them." Michael shuttered, earning a laugh from me. "Why are you here then, Ms 100 questions?"

"Very funny idiot! I don't know, I think I have history right now..." I replied, knowing very well what subject I had. 

"HEY! YOU TWO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT HERE?!" A voice bellowed out from behind us, as we turned around to see the deputy principal power walking over to us. 

Before I could register what I was doing, I grabbed Michael's cigarette out of his hand and muttered under my breath. "Run, I'll take the fall. Put your hoodie on, they won't know it's you."

Michael murmured a quick thanks before grabbing his bag and running off into the distance. The deputy principal called for him to come back, but when seeing that I stayed, he decided to leave Michael.