40; mind games

A M I T Y

A bead of sweat trails down my face after racing up to Michael's front door all the way from school in the dry heat. After Michael called me sounding very distressed I came here as quickly as possible .

I bang my knuckles against the door repeatedly and yell out for Michael. Not too long after the door swings open to reveal Michael still in his pyjamas and his hair is all ruffled as if it is yet to be combed.

"Hey Amity," he chirps cheerfully, grinning from ear to ear.

"Michael, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I look him up and down, searching for any bumps or bruises but none were present. I analyse his face and it didn't look like he'd been crying. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

"Yeah, why?" He asks, seeming confused.

"Why? On the phone you sounded like you were on the verge of crying so I came here as quickly as possible to help you out."

"Oh right, I just wanted you to come over and hang out with me." He has a cheeky smile plastered on his face.

"Michael, what the fuck?!" I yell at him, my words were drenched in annoyance.

"What?" He says in confusion.

"I'm currently ditching two periods of school to come and see you because I thought you were upset and needed me."

"C'moooon. I just wanted to hang out with you. It's awful lonely in this house when everyone's out at work and I thought we could have fun...just us two." He explains, trying to convince me that what he did was okay.

"And you couldn't wait a few hours until school finished?"

"I have already been apart from you for so long." He whines.

"It's been like two days."

"Yeah, two WHOLE days. I couldn't wait any longer and you know how impatient I can be." He whips out the 'puppy dog' look, pouting his lips and widening his eyes and all that cliche dumb crap.

Too bad that dumb crap works on me.

I stand silently, folding my arms across my chest and rolling my eyes.

"Come on," he whines taking my hands in his, "let's go hang out."

"Fine," I sigh, "since I'm already here." I cant help but smile though, spending time with Michael was always time well spent.

He grins yet again, dragging me inside and shutting the door behind us.

"Now that we have a whole afternoon to just us two," he nudges my shoulder, "what did you want to do?" He asks.

"Uh," I think for a while before answering, "how about a movie marathon?" I suggest.

"Sounds like fun, I'll make the popcorn and you go pick out some movies and set up the living room just like we used to."

Just like we used to.

While I spread a blanket across the floor, I could hear the sound of corn kernels popping and the microwave whirring. I stacked pillows on one end of the blanket for us to sit up against.

When I started to file through the DVD's, Michael entered the room with a large silver cooking bowl filled to the brim with popcorn. He settled down on top of the blanket, throwing popcorn into the air and trying to catch it in his mouth.

I crawl up next to him (and disregard my job of choosing a movie), propping my self up with my elbow as I lay on my side to face him. He does the same turning to face me. I eat some popcorn, smiling as the pieces melted in my mouth and the buttery-goodness sends my taste buds into a frenzy.