11; cutting the puppet's strings

A M I T Y

Calum Hood was standing in my hideout, my getaway, my secret place amid a dark and gloomy sky.

Calum Hood had the audacity to show up like nothing was wrong and that the past day had completely been erased from the book of time.

Calum Hood looked as if any minute he would either burst into uncontrollable tears or throw himself out of a window.

Calum Hood made me feel sorry for him and I didn't even know why he was so upset for.

Calum Hood made me weak at the knees and feel as if I would fall clumsily and I wasn't even standing up.

Lets just say, Calum Hood had fucked me up within a week and I didn't know if I wanted to be unfucked by him ever again.

Calum stood silently, slightly rocking back and forth on his heels. I could tell he felt nervous, and the tension in the air was clouding both of our minds. Guilt was twisting his features, recreating him into a side I had never seen. His head was dropped low, and I decided that if he wasn't going to talk, then I would be the bigger person and start us off.

"Why are you here Calum?" I softly addressed, shifting my body upwards so that I was now leaning against the cold and deteriorating wall. 

"I don't want to burden you, I shouldn't be here. I'm sorry for coming, I just had no where else to go." Calum explained, before turning around and starting to walk away back into the cold night. 

"Wait!" I called, causing him to abruptly turn around. He looked at me shockingly, as if he was surprised that I had stopped him. "You don't have to go. You're clearly upset, and all feelings aside... I want you to stay." 

"Good. Because I kind of need you to need me to stay." He blurted out, his voice shaky. He walked over to where I was sitting, leaning his back against the wall and sliding down beside me.

Silence took over the room once again, the realization hitting me that we had both just admitted that we needed each other. It felt weird to me, that he hadn't really apologized for the Colton incident, and yet every fibre in my body was telling me that I had already forgiven him.

"I'm here because my Mum and Dad found out that I hate soccer, and that I don't want to play it anymore or even consider it as a career option. They freaked out, and could hardly even look me in the eyes. They were so disappointed in me, and when I told them I was leaving... they didn't even try and stop me." Calum broke in, sniffling in between sentences. 

"I'm sorry Calum. If it makes you feel any better, I think that you could do well in anything if you put your mind to it. You just seem like one of those people." I muttered, my hand automatically sitting on his thigh, tracing light circles on him.

He nodded back in response, fighting back tears. I took the opportunity to explain why I was here so late at night.

"I'm here because my Mum and Dad both hate me. My Dad left me around four years ago, and didn't even tell me he loved me when he went... because he never did. My Mum is a raging alcoholic, resorting to throw a glass bottle that could of potentially blinded me this afternoon, and acting like I was a devil child or something. I literally had no where else to go, since we weren't talking. So I came here, and she didn't even try to stop me." 

Calum's arm snaked around my waist, pulling me in closer to him. "I'm so sorry about today Amity. I should have stood up for you, it was the right thing to do. I shouldn't have let Colton terrorize you like that, you didn't even have a chance with half the school watching. And if you think your parents don't care about you... well you have me now. And I'm saying this because I don't even know you that well and already my body is telling me that I have to protect you. I don't ever want to see you like the way you looked when you stared at me today, ever again."