22; distant and distracted

A M I T Y

*Few weeks later*

Hey Cal, want to meet up before class? x

I type, clicking send in hopes that it will grasp the attention of my very recently distracted boyfriend.

Since that university scout came to watch Calum's soccer game a few weeks ago, I have barely seen Calum at all! He has been devoting all of his time to soccer. I never even heard how the game went, but from his sudden change in work ethic towards soccer, I can guess that it didn't go down too well.

I grab my maths books out of my locker, slamming the door shut once I was done. I look up and down the to see if I could pick out Cal's face among the crowd. I was unsuccessful.

I check my phone to see if he had replied, refreshing it multiple times just in the slightest chance that it hadn't loaded yet, but he didn't even bother to text back.

Deciding that I couldn't wait any longer, I head off to maths and wait outside the door next to a rather smart yet shy girl. I smiled at her politely.

"Morning," she muttered.

"Good morning," I smiled back.

-

The bell rings.

"Yes!" I cheer quietly to myself. It was break time and I couldn't wait to finally see Calum.

He replied to me during English in second period saying how majorly sorry he was and he wanted to spend break time with me.

I'm the first one out of the room, pushing the door wide open and almost practically running to my locker. I shove my books into my locker and rush out to the main outdoor eating area where I was suppose to meet Calum. I clutched onto my phone tight, just incase he had to message me saying that he would be late or be here soon.

I look left and right, whipping my head around both ways. There was no sight of him. My phone chimes and his name illuminates on my screen. Bitter disappointment shoots through me as once again, Calum has let me down.

Luke is finally letting me practice a soccer move on him! Won't be able to make our break date, sorry x

A throaty groan escapes my lips. Left alone, once again. No Michael, no Calum, no other friend to be here for me and support me when I need it. I was alone in this prison disguised as a school and it made me feel like the smallest person in the universe.

I take a seat on the bench where Michael and I used to sit during classes. I hang my head low and just sit there, waiting for the bell to ring and signal that I would have retreat back to class.

The day would slowly tick by, feeling like each class lasted years! As the final bell rang through out the school, students piled out of classrooms and out the doors of the school. Instead of going directly home, I head in the direction of the oval. Calum had been spending most of his time there so why wouldn't he be there after school.

I was determined to find out why Calum had become so distant lately. I knew he was trying to focus on soccer but I didn't understand. He hated the sport, he hated that it defined him and hated the expectations he was given by indulging in it.

So why was he working so hard on something he told me he was going to give up on?

I walked onto the back oval, seeing Calum in the distance practicing by himself. Luke, Ashton, Mikayla and a few other people were sitting in a group further away from him, chatting away. Most of his friends had begun to accept me and our relationship, but there were so many times when I felt left out and neglected.

As I walked up to him, I could see the frustration clearly on his face. His eyebrows were furrowed, and his hands running through his hair as he continually tried to master some maneuver with the ball. He tried once more, falling to the ground as he tried to kick the ball. Instead of getting up, he remained seated on the freshly cut grass, with his head in his hands.

I knew that he heard me coming, as he quickly stood up and brushed off his back, getting away the extra grass and dirt that was sticking to it. I stood a metre away from him, swinging back and forth on my heels as I waited for him to speak.

"Did you see me fall over?" He asked, still not making complete eye contact with me.

"I would like to say no, to save you from embarrassment, but yeah I did." I mumbled back.