08; true colours

C A L U M

Amity inches closer and closer. Y'know when the boy and the girl in the movies move really slowly when they are about to kiss and it seems to take forever? Well, it kinda felt like that. As if the world was slowing down and it felt as if it took a while for the kiss to finally take place.

But when our lips finally met, it was a truly unimaginable kiss. I could feel my heart suddenly beginning to race. Our lips moved in sync, as if they were meant to be united. It was like the kisses you dream about, the ones in the movies. Time stopped and the world around me seemed irrelevant because all I was focused on was Amity.

The kiss felt like it lasted for hours, but in reality only lasted for a few seconds. A persistent and loud ring of a phone interrupted us. We broke apart and remained silent, unable to speak due to the shock from our kiss.

The phone continued to ring and I didn't realize it was actually mine. I tried to grab it out of my pocket but fumbled from high nerves and clammy hands.

Luke's name lit up on the phones screen. I tap the green answer button to hear Luke's unsettled breathing pattern.

"Luke?" I question.

"Where the fuck are you Calum?!" He growls harshly.

"What do you mean?" I say, confused.

"It's like 4:58, soccer practice starts in like two minutes and you aren't in the change rooms. I thought you might have been dead."

"Shit! That totally slipped my mind." I slap my forehead in disbelief for being such an idiot.

"Where are you?"

"I'm-" I glance over to Amity, "that's not important right now."

"Well you better get your ass here soon."

"Okay, okay. I'm coming" and I tap the red button to end the call. "Amity, I have to uh, go." I gesture to the door.

She sits quietly, avoiding my line of view and not responding. I have no time to wait for a reply so with that I exit out the door and make my way back to the school, breaking into a fast pace run, taking me further from Amity than I'd rather be.

And further away from that unpredictable event. The awkward, strange, amazingly soft, passionate kiss that I can't stop thinking about. Why can't I stop thinking about it? I could still feel a tingling sensation on my lips. That's not important now, I need to focus on soccer and that's all.

-

I arrive on the soccer oval ten minutes later. I rush over to where the team was huddled.

"Calum!" The coach yells, "Where the hell have you been?!"

I hesitated answering, having trouble trying to catch my breath.

"I-" I couldn't tell them I was with a girl- kissing a girl- in an abandon house after ditching detention. I needed to think of a lie, and quick! "I was, um, held up in detention. You know how Mrs Arden can be."

The coach nods, "Okay then, Captain. Run 4 warm up laps around the field after you get changed."

I nod and jog off to the change rooms.

-

The next day I wake up and I go to school. I try not to give yesterday a second thought, for I know that I will over think it like a mad man. So instead of staying in bed all day, worrying about girls and kissing and feelings and what they all mean, I simply get up and get my ass to school. No use in worrying, because it wasn't going to get me anywhere.