07; hideout

A M I T Y

"Calum?"

That's someone I thought I'd never see seated in one of these chairs. “Quiet, Ms Green." The deputy snapped. "Go and take your seat." He releases the grip on my arm and I slide into a seat beside Calum, who looks me up and down and holds a steady stare in my direction. I face forward and stare straight ahead.

"Afternoon, Mrs Arden." The deputy straightens his tie and blazer. Before leaving, he gives a cold glare to the students seated. He turns on his heel and marches out the door. (Like the tight ass he is.)

Calum continues to stare at me without saying a word. My eyes shift around the room, catching glances of him. Growing frustrated I decide to ask why he continues to stare.

"What? What do you want?" I whisper harshly.

He shakes his head and his cheeks grow pink. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was staring. I mean I knew I was I just..." He rambles, nervously.

"Why are you even in here? You hardly seem like the type to get in to trouble." I question.

"Oh, I uh," he stops as if he is re-thinking his answer carefully. He sighs. "Some jerk was harassing me about losing the game." He stops talking, again.

"And?"

"And I may have pushed him up against the lockers and threatened to make him my bitch."

"Wow, I never thought you had that in you." I comment.

"Me either." He admits. "Anyway, what are you doing time for?" He awkwardly chuckles. Feeling uncomfortable, he coughs trying to cover it up. "I mean, why do you have detention?" He rephrases.

"You two! Stop talking!" The teacher yells.

I choose to ignore her and proceed to answer Calum.  Whispering, I say, "Well, Mike and I ditched last period. Then he almost got caught smoking so I covered for him." I shrug.

"Wow, Michael must be lucky to have a friend like you."

"Really? It's just that if he gets one more strike then he'll be thrown out of school and he needs to graduate and-"

"I'm just going to step out for a moment." Mrs Arden cuts me off. "No talking or making a ruckus while I'm gone now." And she shuffles out of the classroom, slamming the door shut behind her.

As soon as he foot leaves the door, the other students in detention disobey her command and begin to chat away.

"Probably going to watch those cheesy old soap operas in the teachers lounge." A boy snickered.

-

Fifteen minutes had past and the teacher still had not returned. There was silence between Calum and It was becoming unbearable. Sure, I could start the conversation myself but what on earth do I say?

"You know what? Fuck it." I mutter, only Calum was able to hear.

"What?" He asks. I stand up and along my bag over my shoulder. "What are you doing, Amity?"

"I'm leaving. She probably won't come back for another hour, at least"

"What if you get caught?"

"Oh please, she'll barely notice." I scoff.

His lips snap shut and nods , leaning back into his seat.

I turn away, about to head out the door but a thought lingers in my mind. I kneel down beside his table and whisper to him, "You know? It would be awfully boring to leave alone..."