28; letters

C A L U M

"No no no!" Luke groans, throwing the controller across the table out of frustration.

"What's the score? Is it 6-3? Was that right? Oh, you know it's right! Liverpool! Liverpool! Liverpool!" I chant, finding myself victorious against Luke in a game of FIFA.

"Yeah, yeah whatever." Luke shrugs off my gloating. "Another round?"

"Only if you want to be beaten again like a-"

"Luke, my boy!" Luke's fathers voice booms across the room, interrupting me. He strolls into the room, followed by Luke's mum who was waving an envelope around and squealing with glee.

"Mum? Dad? What is it?" Luke questions.

They stand in front of Luke, his fathers arm around his mum.

"A very special letter came..." His dad hints.

"Well, what is it?" Luke glances over to me, confused.

"Oh honey, I have to tell him!" His mum exclaims.

"Tell me what?" Luke asks, still feeling left in the dark.

"It's from UNSW!" She holds the envelop in front if his face, pointing to the printed writing.

It was true, in small black print read Luke's name, address and the name of the university.

Luke snatched the letter and ripped open the envelop. His hands couldn't move any faster. His eyes scanned across the page and he let out a mighty cheer.

"I've been accepted into UNSW for soccer! This is amazing!" Luke jumps up and down, filled with joy.

"Great job, mate!" I join him, jumping up and down as well. Without warning, he wraps his arms around me and hold me in a tight squeeze.

After a few moments of celebration, the room returns to it's neutral state, despite the fact that Luke can't stop grinning.

"So you got the scholarship?" I ask.

He reads the letter again. "No, this is just an acceptance letter." He sighs.

"That's still really good. Amazing even!" I pay him on the back.

"Yeah, yeah you're right." He says. "I just got into one of the most elite universities in the country and I get to spend most of my time playing soccer."

"Yeah, that's great man." My words oozed disappointment, for I have not even heard from the school yet.

"Calum, I'm so sorry. Fuck, I'm such an inconsiderate bastard." Luke apologizes, practically reading my mind.

"Luke, language." His dad scolds.

"No, Luke it's fine. I'm really happy for you. You've worked so hard and you really deserve this."

"Well, hey for all we know the scholarship could be sitting in your letter box right now. We haven't heard of anyone else getting it, right?" Luke suggests.

His words spark a glimmer of hope within me, as they are true as far as we know. No team member has posted of any scholarship arriving at their door. Two other boys got accepted, just like Luke but other than that, nothing.

"You know what? You're right! Luke I could kiss you." I take his head in my hands and kiss his forehead, jumping up and down with excitement.

"Should we go check?" Luke suggests, "Like, now?"

I look at him with a blank stare and my mouth slightly parted, thinking of the idea over in my head.

I break out of my trance, replying with, "What a brilliant suggestion!"