13; balls

A M I T Y

The bench Michael and I chose as our place to sit at lunchtimes was possibly one of the best places to sit. I mean, in a hygienic perspective we might as well could have been sitting on the bathroom floors, with the thick layer of dust and used cigarette butts littering all around it. But it gave us a pretty good view of all the stupid cliques, which always fueled our conversations as we complained and laughed at their constant stupidity.

Normally, my eyes would be wandering the oval, giving each clique an equal amount of time to try and redeem itself and try not to give off asshole vibes, but today my eyes were super glued to Calum and his friends.

He was sitting a good 30 metres away from Michael and I, kicking a soccer ball around with his friend Luke, whilst Colton, Ashton, and a girl that was straddling Ashton's lap sat down talking to them. After we had sat and talked for a while last night, the clock hit midnight so we took a taxi home. The taxi dropped me home first, as Calum bid me goodbye with a soft hug as I carefully avoided his new throbbing tattoo. He texted me later that night, thanking me once again... causing me to go to sleep with flushed cheeks and a thumping heart.

We hadn't spoken yet today, only smiled at each other in the hallways when our paths crossed. I didn't mind though, although I really wanted to talk to him. And I was hoping with all of heart that maybe he wanted to talk to me too.

"Amity! You're staring again dickhead!" Michael laughed, kicking me under the bench as my gaze averted back to his eyes. "Calum Hood? Really Amity? What's going on?"

"Well, uh... We've been hanging out a bit lately." I mumbled, scared to speak too loudly.

"What!" Michael shouted, jumping out of his seat and shaking my shoulders. "Amity Green!"

I rolled my eyes, removing his hands from my shoulders and pushing him back down. "He's actually a pretty cool guy, he's not like the rest of them." I spoke, with a hint of uncertainty trailing in my voice.

"That's what they all say Amity, it's just a ploy to get you into bed. I thought you were better than that." Michael replied.

"I'm not sleeping with him Mike. It's complicated."

"Oh god, in a few weeks you're going to be like Holly Sawyers, changing her facebook relationship status to it's complicated. You know why it's complicated, because she's not just sucking her own boyfriends dicks-" Michael screeched, getting interrupted as I returned the favour and kicked him underneath the bench.

"Michael, you are lucky I'm even telling you this right now. No interrupting until I'm finished, got it?" I spoke, Michael nodding in reply. "He doesn't want to be the popular jock with no substance to his name, he doesn't want to be known as the soccer superstar. And I guess I'm kind of helping him with that, and I understand that it's difficult for him. But when it's been just me and him, he's the nicest guy. I kissed him the other night, and I don't regret it. I took him to my hideout, which you're the only other person that has been to it. I don't regret that either. It's nothing serious, and I don't even know if he likes me back. Because for the first time in years I think I actually am developing feelings for someone who isn't in a band and doesn't know I exist."

Michael was silent, which was unusual for him. An uneasy feeling gurgled in my stomach as I awaited his reply. I had finally confessed out loud my feelings for Calum, and I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a good feeling or not.

"Okay. It's not like I'm going to forbid you to see him ever again, because you know that I'm not like that and I know that you can make your own decisions. I understand that he wants to be someone different and all that shit, and I understand why you're helping him. But Amity, don't let him become some charity case that changes you. Because for all you know, he could just be feeding you bullshit or he could honestly be telling the truth. I guess that's up to you to decide, but I will not hesitate to knock his perfect rich boy teeth out if crosses you." Michael said, standing up to sit next to me on my side of the bench.