20; everything is okay

C A L U M

Apart from a purple bruise prominently appearing across my jaw, and a very confused mind, the fight really meant nothing to me anymore. For what I could I tell, Michael is just a messed up kid who couldn't help but fall for Amity.

I mean, look at her.

I was more than ecstatic than in a way, Amity chose me yesterday. She walked me home, kissed me on the cheek, and placed a gentle peck on my jaw before going back home. I had gone inside to find very angry parents, who lectured me about egging someone on. They were still pissed at me for the night I ran away, and still had no idea about my tattoo.

But as I lay in bed that night thinking the day over, I realized that Amity had picked me over her best friend. I was new into her life, and she picked me over Michael who I knew meant a lot to her. This made me think that maybe Michael was right, I was changing Amity.

But I couldn't change Amity's mind, and it was her decision to make. Even though I knew Michael loved her, I wasn't going to give her some typical ultimatum that she would stress over.

So I decided to let the cards fall where they may, and see what happens between the two of us.

When I woke in the morning, I texted Amity and asked to meet her at the front gate so we could walk in together. I knew that I was going to be verbally attacked with mounds of people asking about my bruise and the so called fight, and I needed some support. Plus, I wanted to show everyone that she was my girl, and wasn't to be messed with.

She texted back straight away, replying with a yes and one of those cute smiley face things with a nose. Luke always uses them too, and I used to think that they were lame. But when Amity sent it, it suddenly became pretty cool.

So when I walked onto the school grounds and saw Amity leaning up against a brick pillar, her arms crossed around herself and a small smile on her face, my heart felt as if it was going to explode. I finally had someone to wait for me, to support me and who genuinely cared for me.

And it felt good.

Walking up towards her, she stood up straight and surprisingly wrapped her arms tightly around my waist the moment I got close enough. I engulfed her, placing a small kiss on top of her head, and looking down at her whilst she looked up at me.

"Hey beautiful," I murmured. "That was a warm welcome that I definitely could get used to."

"Beautiful? I got about 2 hours of sleep and am only awake due to the litre of coffee I drank and the prospect of seeing your bruised but still cute face." She laughed, reluctantly pulling away from me.

I reached down and intertwined my hand with hers as we walked side by side into school. "I still stand by my compliment... If you look this good right now, I think I'd probably pass out if I saw you when you were well rested and not hyped on caffeine!"

"You, Mr Hood are one cheeky little fucker!" She laughed, slightly pushing me to the side. We entered the main hallway, and that is when I started to notice it all.

The stares, the whispers, the pointing. All of it was happening, by nearly everyone in the school. And the worst thing about it all, was that Amity had noticed too. She ducked her head down so that she was staring at the ground, avoiding all of the judgmental stares that were getting projected her way.

So I stopped, in the middle of the hallway, placed one finger under her chin and kissed her lips. At first she didn't kiss back, but after a few seconds her lips started to move against mine. I pulled back before moving my face next to her ear.

"Amity, they aren't changing my feelings for you. And they never will."

She looked back at me, nodding her head slowly before the sweet smile returned to her face. We continued to walk down the hall, talking about her classes and teachers before stopping at our lockers. Luke, Ashton and Mikayla were leaning against them and all greeted Amity and I.