29; make ups & break ups

A M I T Y

"And then he asked why I was even going because I apparently hate everyone!" I explain to Luke and Annabeth as we sit outside on some bench towards the end of the lawn.

It wasn't even past 9 o'clock and already someone had passed out in the garden. People littered the house, all intoxicated or stoned. There was an unbelievable amount of bumping, grinding and sloppy make out sessions.

Just like any other party, girls wore dresses that were too tight, too short or both. The boys weren't any better. Wearing extremely low v-neck's and jeans that were so skinny, I'm surprised that the blood can still circulate through their legs. Or they were wearing those really short, shorts that were all varying in bright colours.

I continue, saying, "Can't a girl have a little fun every once and in a while? It's not like I get invited to all these 'banging' parties, so why can't I treat myself to one when I actually do?"

"Exactly!" Annabeth agrees and Luke nods along. "You're allowed to go out and have fun. Because," she wiggles her eyebrow and begins to sing "Girls Just Want To Have Fun".

I couldn't help but smile at her off-tune singing. Luke just rolled his eyes and Annabeth giggled, singing louder just to embarrass him. As she stops and silence is restored, I continue to vent about the phone call concerning Mr Calum Hood.

"I just don't know what could have got him so snappy, so moody towards me. I didn't- or I don't think I did anything wrong." I look down at my hands which were resting in my lap, fiddling with each other and let out a sigh. "Boys are confusing."

"I was with him earlier that day..." Luke pipes up.

My head jerks up and my eyes are directed at Luke.

"Well, what happened? Did he say anything? What was he acting like?" I ask, talking in a fast speed.

"He was fine all morning, then we played FIFA and he won." Luke said, tapping his finger on his chin as he thought.

"It wasn't because of..." Annabeth says.

"Oh! Yeah that would be it." He vaguely responds, not giving me a solid answer.

"What? What would be it?" As I speak, my words are ripe with panic. Luke does not speak, biting his lip and looking down at the ground on front if him.

"Go on Luke." Annabeth says but Luke just looks up at her with wide eyes and shakes his head slightly.

"I don't want to brag and be all like 'I got accepted to university and I am just an amazing human being'." He waves his hands as he speaks.

"Wait, university? What is going on?" I ask, feeling clueless.

"You remember that UNSW scout that went and watched the boys?" Annabeth says and I nod. "Well, Luke received a letter from them today which said that he had been accepted into UNSW!"

"Luke! That's amazing," I wrap my arms around him and give him a quick squeeze. "Congratulations! I am so happy for you."

"Thanks," he smiles to himself.

"But what has this got to do with Calum?" I ask, getting back to solving the main problem.

"We- well I had this brilliant idea to go back to Calum's house and check his mailbox to see if he too, got accepted." Luke explained. "So we jumped in his car and raced off to his house. When we got there, we checked the mailbox and it was empty."

"Oh," I utter quietly.

"Yeah, so that might be why he seemed a bit off. When I left, he appeared a bit mad but I think he'll get over it." Luke says.