What He Did

Chapter One: What He Did

I stretched out my limbs, recoiling when I hit a bare chest in an unfortunately familiar room. My eyes widened as I sat up, relishing in the fact that I was still wearing last night's clothes under this large hoodie. I closed my eyes for one moment, two, three, hoping that when I opened them... I would be somewhere else, this would all be a dream, praying that I would be anywhere but here.

But when I opened my eyes again, I was still in the same typical teenage boy bedroom, trophies standing on a wall shelf, a couple ribbons, a few framed photos of friends, and of course, sleeping next to me was the teenage boy himself, Connor Wilson, aka my ex-boyfriend. It was his room and his all too familiar bed. The one I always seemed to end up in every time I went to a party and drank too much.

Looking at his peaceful sleeping face, I decided not to wake him, instead choosing to slip out of his bed and under the loose arm he had draped around me. He rolled around and shifted a bit, for a moment I feared that he was going to wake up, but he settled back into sleep, his mouth slightly parted.

For just a second, I let my gaze on him turn fond. He was, after all, very handsome. His skin was tanned already from days spent on the beach, his dirty blonde hair was rumpled from sleeping, but still managed to look perfect, and I knew behind those closed lids, were the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen. They were the color of the water you see in those edited Instagram model's photos when they go to Jamaica, except his eyes weren't edited.

I shook my head, forcing all of the fondness from my mind- we'd broken up for a reason- instead I turned around to leave, grabbing my phone off his desk which he must have plugged in before he went to sleep, and walking to the door where I saw my shoes neatly sitting with a post-it note attached to the heel.

'don't leave without saying goodbye :)'

I rolled my eyes, again pushing away the creep of warm and fond that began to spread to my cheeks, and walked out of his room, careful not to disturb his parents. When I walked outside and realized I had no car or way to get home, I looked down at my phone screen that had two unread text messages from my best friend, Miles.

'dnt kill me 4 letting connor take u home. dnt wrry he'llll be respecfulshhl'

'just text me when you want me to pick u up.'

The first one, I could tell had been sent last night while Miles was piss drunk both by the time stamp, and his spelling. It looked like he'd been hoping he could get autocorrect to understand him with the last word, but it obviously hadn't worked. The second one, however, had been sent this morning.

I sent him a quick text saying 'now pls' followed by an angry emoji to let him know I was unhappy he'd let me go home with my ex.... Again.

When I got in the car, I fake huffed as I buckled my seatbelt, sending Miles a glare that didn't last long before I cracked a smile.

He rolled his eyes at me and leaned down to grab the post-it note that must've still been attached to my shoe. "Don't leave without saying goodbye, huh." He stated, eyes narrowing as he read it. "Let me guess, you left without saying goodbye?"

I shot him a sheepish grin. "Did I leave my ex's house that I somehow ended up at last night without saying goodbye so things wouldn't be awkward?" My rephrasing of the question had Miles bark out a laugh.

"Well, when you put it like that." He said with a smile and a slight eye roll as he put the car in reverse.

"You know, I do wonder how everytime we go out to a party together, you seem to let me end up with him," I said, adding in a light punch of his shoulder just for fun.