I'll Be Okay ;)

Chapter Thirty-Five: I'll Be Okay ;)

Miles and I relaxed into our usual spots in the guard tower, the week had passed quickly, and I was picking Connor up from his appointment after my shift. I hadn't seen him all week, we were both either busy with guarding or his physical therapy, but we did talk on the phone every night. He told me things were slightly better in his family.

Him starting seeing someone had caused some hard conversations with their family. He'd had to talk to his dad and tell him that he was upset about what he'd done, but overall I think it had been good for them. His dad admitted that because Mrs. Wilson was always busy with mayor stuff, he'd strayed from their marital commitment, and he regretted it.

According to Benji, Mitchell talked to him about leaving early, since his family was no longer staying with us. They decided to go back to the city early, and I didn't think there was anyone who was opposed to that. Mitchell's last day would be tomorrow, and he had made no effort to talk to me. Whether it was out of shame or indifference, I didn't know, and quite honestly I didn't care.

We heard a loud slap on the side of the tower and looked down to see Lani holding a tray of smoothies. She passed two up to Miles and I, and waited for Wes and and Marco, who were working with us today, to run up from the beach and grab theirs. Lani was off today, she worked at a tower closer to the neighborhood where she lived, and because the area was so exclusive they only needed two guards working at a time.

Wes downed his smoothie in two big gulps, and Marco chugged his down, both throwing their cups in recycling before racing back to the waves, patrolling from the sand while Miles and I looked out from the tower.

Lani climbed in with us, leaning against the railing since there was only room for two chairs "So are you ready to tell us why you and Connor aren't dating?" Lani asked me with an exasperated look. I'd hung out with both of them multiple times in the past few days, but this was the first time we were all together, and I didn't really want to have to tell this story more than once.

"It's not a big deal really," I told them shrugging, though my heart panged inside my chest. "He just thought- well, he said he didn't think either of us were ready for a relationship."

"And what did you think about that?" Miles asked neutrally.

I stuttered slightly, "I-I mean yeah, he's right. It's just that-" I trailed off, trying to figure out how to put it into words. "We're going to college- different colleges- in two weeks. I just- I'm worried, I guess."

I looked up to Miles and Lani, seeing sympathetic looks on their faces before turning to each other to exchange a quick look. 

"Hallie," Lani sighed, searching for the right words, "I don't want to upset you, but he's kind of right. I mean, you just got out of a relationship, and I know it wasn't very long, but it was serious. It seems like he has some things he wants to work through before he feels like he'd be ready to be the man you deserve so I-"

"But what if by the time he is it's too late? What if he find another girl and-" I started, glancing nervously between Miles and Lani as my voice raised and my mind played the worst case scenarios through my mind.

"If that happens, then it wasn't meant to be." Miles said seriously, grabbing my hands and looking me straight in the face. "I know it's hard to hear, but you are young, and Connor probably won't be the only boy you'll ever love. Maybe he'll be the last, but maybe not, and that's okay."

I bit my lip, trying to stop the well of tears along with the negative thoughts telling me it wasn't okay.

"Do you really want to go into college with a committed relationship?" Lani asked me, resting her hand on my shoulder softly, when I began to nod my head slightly, she shook hers at me. "Hell no you don't, you wanna have fun! Make the most of your college years Hallie!" She encouraged me with a smile.