How Things Work

Chapter Twenty-Six: How Things Work

A week later, I was standing in front of a mirror applying makeup for the first time in a while for Mitchell and my date tonight. I was dressed up more than usual, wearing a dress I'd bought for New Years Eve and then ended up trading for a swim suit just before the party started. I didn't know where we were going, but Mitchell had told me to dress up, so I did. 

Mitchell was standing at the bottom of the steps as I walked down, wearing a button down shirt and a pair of khaki pants with loafers. He grinned widely at me once he saw me walking down the stairs, and grabbed me by the waist, pulling me in for a long kiss.

Last week after we came back from our date, Mitchell had less than pure intentions, but our parents were home so he had to stick with a cold shower. We had pretty much ignored the part of the date where Mitchell had punched Connor in the face, and heeding his sister's words I resisted the urge to text him and ask how his nose was.

Instead I had found out from Miles who curiously asked me if I had any idea why Connor had two black eyes and a white strip across his nose. I had shamefully informed him it was because of my boyfriend to which Miles's jaw dropped for a good five seconds. He said nothing, simply nodding for a full minute before asking why.

I still didn't know what had really prompted it.

"Connor threw a glass of water on Mitchell," I had responded with a shoulder shrug.

"But why?" Miles had asked me, but I didn't have an answer. I didn't know what they had been talking about.

I pulled away from Mitchell's kiss to ask him where we were going. "What's the plan for tonight, M?"

"Dinner." He replied with a smirk smug.

"Yes, but where?"

"You'll see, baby." He replied with a self satisfied smirk, "I think you'll like it though."

With that we got into my car and he began to drive us to our destination, and after a series of turns, I began to get a sense of where we were going. "Are we going to Dave's Dive bar?" I asked him curiously, wondering why we needed to be dressed up for a locals bar.

"I forgot that you know everywhere in this town," Mitchell said with a laugh, reaching into his back pocket to grab a flyer that had been folded up into a square.

I glanced at the flyer. It was pink and had hearts all over it with the headline Couples Night in 72 point Comic Sans font across the paper. "Couples Night?" I asked with a little laugh.

"Yep," Mitchell replied.

"This will be fun," I replied with a secret smile. Mitchell had no clue what we were truly in for, especially at Dave's.

+++

Mitchell and I walked in the bar and the hostess simply told us to sit anywhere we wanted. Mitchell led us to a table in the center of the room, and we quickly realized that Lani and Miles were here too.

"Lani and Miles!" I said in recognition, "Let's go say hi!" Mitchell and I got up after dropping our stuff at the table and walked over to where Miles and Lani were sitting.

"Couples Night, huh?" Mitchell asked, wrapping his arm around my waist, "Are you two together?" He asked.

Both of them burst into laughter, causing Mitchell to look at them confused and me to hold in my laughter. Mitchell was certainly in for a surprise. 'Couples Night' wasn't exactly the couples night he was thinking it was going to be.

"We're just here as friends, man." Miles responded, standing up to shake Mitchell's hand and give me a hug. After he went, Lani got up for her turn to greet us.