You Chose Him

Chapter Twenty-Eight: You Chose Him

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I usually kept my phone on do not disturb at night, so I knew it must be urgent if the person had called twice. I yawned and stretched before grabbing my phone and seeing the time, 3:23 a.m. My eyes widened considerably and my jaw dropped slightly as I saw that the caller ID was showing none other than Connor Wilson. I swallowed hard as I made the decision to screen the call.

I told myself as Sophie said, the only way to let him move on would be to let him go. Plus, it wasn't like my relationship with Mitchell right now was phenomenal, and talking to Connor in the middle of the night would do nothing at all to remedy it.

As soon as the call ended, Connor's name immediately popped up back on my phone again, and I was weak. For a moment, I reconsidered my decision, but in the end, even though it killed me, I ended his call request, slightly hoping he would call a fourth time. Within a few moments, it was clear he was not going to, and so I sighed and leaned back in my bed about to go to sleep when I received an... angry text.

'hallie pick up the GOD DAMN phone'

'connor?' I asked confused. It was very unlike Connor's texting style, and nothing he'd ever sent me before.

'his phone, yes.'

'but it's george. and you need to get your ass to the pier.'

'why?' I responded.

Then, Connor's name was flashing back on my phone as a caller ID. Knowing it was George, I picked up. "What?" I asked him harshly. I wasn't in the mood to deal with him right now. I wasn't ever in the mood to deal with him, but especially not at three in the morning.

"You need to come to the pier," The voice on the other line said lowly. It wasn't George. It was somebody more serious, more quiet, and somebody I was a lot more likely to listen to which George probably knew. "Please," Logan added as an afterthought.

I swallowed again, a bit of concern beginning to grow. Why did they want me to come to the pier? Why did they have Connor's phone? Why were they at the pier at three in the morning. "Why?" I asked him in a whisper.

I could hear George yell exasperatedly in the background, "Why the fuck does it matter?"

"Connor needs you," Logan responded simply. He was never one to waste words, and he knew that was all he had to say for me to drive to the pier at three in the morning.

I bit my lip, struggling internally with the choice. A part of me was yelling to get in my car and drive down to the pier that moment, but at the same time another part of me knew that I had to let Connor go. Confused by my lack of response, Logan continued, lowering his voice possibly so that George wouldn't hear.

"Hallie, I know you still care about him." Logan said softly.

"I do," I admitted just as softly back to him, yet I still sat in my bed, clutching my phone to my ear, not knowing what to do.

"Then come," Logan repeated, still talking in the same quiet, gentle voice. I could no longer hear George's voice muttering strings of curses and commands.

"I can't-" I told him, my voice cracking slightly at the end.

"Why not?" I heard him ask as my mind delved deep into it's thoughts. There were a multitude of reasons why I could not go to Connor, for one, I didn't even know what was wrong.

"Sophie said not to talk to him," I repeated though that wasn;t fully why. I guessed a part of me wanted to hear someone else tell me what she said was right to validate it in my mind and allieve my doubts. Or for someone to tell me that she was wrong.