Only Two Reasons

If no one has told you this today, I love you! You are important to me! You are valid, you are loved, you are appreciated! You make this world a better place.

Happy Pride to my LGBTQ+ readers!

Please enjoy the story and as always, don't be a silent reader <3

Chapter Eighteen: Only Two Reasons

I woke up the next morning with a smile still on my face, but I was also apprehensive.

What was going to happen between Mitchell and I this morning?

I walked downstairs quietly, I had gone to bed quite late but risen quite early, and I wasn't sure who else was awake. When I got downstairs however, I was surprised to find Mitchell, Cal, and Lexi already sitting at the high top eating breakfast.

"Morning everyone," I said, still quiet, but not quite a whisper.

"Morning Hallie, how'd you sleep?" Lexi asked me, while Mitchell and Cal simply nodded at me.

"I slept fine I suppose, where's Jace? Aren't you too attached at the hip or something?" I asked back, teasing Lexi slightly.

"Jace Johnson will not wake up early in the morning for anyone anymore, not even me. He put early morning behind him when he quite soccer. Most mornings, I'm dragging him out of bed." Lexi replied shaking her head. "Lucky if he gets up before ten." She mumbled. 

I laughed and rolled my eyes at my brothers antics. I sat down with my bowl of cereal across from Mitchell and next to Lexi. Cal was diagnosed to me, and he was completely caught up in his phone.

Mitchell, I noticed, was avoiding eye contact with me which I found odd considering what happened last night. I decided to ignore it and instead pick on Cal.

"So I guess a phone is more important than you're baby sister, huh?" I sighed aloud.

"Don't be like that Hallie, I'm just reading the news." Cal replied distractedly, as most of his attention was still on his phone.

"Are you seriously reading the digital newspaper on your phone?" I asked incredulously.

At this, Cal removed his gaze from the computer screen and met my own. "You act like that's such a bad thing." He replied defensively.

"Cal, you're 28 years old and reading the newspaper!" I stated, "that's like an old man thing!"

"It's an intellectual thing." Cal shot back.

"I am an intellectual, I'm going to Stanford, or did you forget? Newspapers are for old people." I reaffirmed, resisting the urge to laugh at Cal's ever reddening face. I always knew exactly what buttons to push to get my older brothers riled up.

"Newspapers are not for old people!" Cal replied, his voice beginning to rise.

"Are too." I said defiantly with a smirk on my face. By this point, Lexi had already begun to clean up her spot and leave the room, she knew what was coming and she knew just as well there was no stopping it.

"Are not."

A small smile began to creep into Mitchell's face as he glanced back and forth between me and Cal with every remark.

"Are too."

"Are not."

"Are too."

"Are not."

"Suuuure they're not." I finally gave in, though I made sure to drag out the word sarcastically.

"Hallie-" Cal said in a sort of warning. He was really riled up now and I knew it was time to see scalars the situation.