Truth or Dare

Hey guys, if you read this chapter and haven't seen this message, I added in a little scene at the very end, so please check it out, it sets up things better for the next chapter.

Chapter Eleven: Truth or Dare

"Hallie!" Miles yelled from beside me in the tower.

"Huh?" I asked, snapping back to reality.

"Are you even listening to me?" Miles asked with an eye roll to which I sheepishly smiled.

"Uh, yeah..." I trailed off, but I hadn't even convinced myself.

"Okay, tell me what's up." Miles sighed, "And before you start trying to say nothing's up... I know somethings up, so just save us the extra effort and tell me."

I sighed out, turning to face him fully just for a moment. It was me, him, Marco, and Wes at morning shift today. Today as in Friday, three day of the beach guard kickoff bonfire. "I guess I'm just worried about today, Miles. I can't help feeling like, you know, shits gonna go down."

"Oh please, George will be there. Shit is definitely going to go down." Miles replied matter of factly and rolling his eyes. "But your tower has your back, so it'll be fine."

"I'm worried about Mitchell." I admitted.

"What about him? That George will go after him?" Miles asked.

I shook my head slightly.

Miles's mouth formed into an 'o' shape as he came to a conclusion. "You're worried about what George will say, and in turn, what Mitchell will think."

I wasn't expecting Miles to be so close to the money, and I made the mistake of a dead giveaway by snapping my eyes away from his.

"What could George possibly say about you to Mitchell? And if Mitchell thinks any less of you... then to hell with him." Miles comforted.

However, he was close to the money, but not on the money.

"It's not exactly George talking that I'm worried about." I met Miles's gaze once again, and he just looked on at me in confusion.

Right, cause in his mind... who could possibly be worse than George?

"It's Connor that I'm worried about."

++++

It was just past one, when I saw it. A little boy wandered out just a bit too far in the water, and a rip current under a big wave caught him I supposed. I shot up out of my chair, smacking Miles's arm and bringing my whistle to my lips, blowing hard to alert Weston and Marco. "Everyone clear the water please" I ordered, yelling so that the beach bums and shoobies could hear me. While rescuing one, you didn't want to have to worry about another drowning.

Miles didn't question me as we ran down the small strip of beach to the water together, Marco and Weston falling in line with us.

"There was a little boy about fifteen meters back, he got swept by that wave." I briefed them as we ran knee deep into the water. "He was right here," I pointed directly in front of us, "And the current is going that way," I pointed right.

We linked arms and spread out, forming a human chain as we walked forward slowly, hoping to either run into him, or for him to surface.

We got lucky. We'd only walked a couple meters when he broke the surface, arms flailing, a lot farther out in the ocean and a bit down shore. Immediately, Weston and I broke the chain and began swimming to him while Marco and Miles swam in to get the med kit.

Out of the four of us, Weston and I were the strongest swimmers. Weston made it to him first and grabbed him quickly, holding him tightly before I reached them.