What Love Is?

Chapter Twenty-Seven: What Love Is?

This was supposed to be a short chapter lol but it ended up at about 3600 words. Enjoy babes... also you've been warned ;)

That weekend, I once again stood in front of my mirror after dressing up for a party, one that Mitchell had reluctantly agreed for us to go to. For one, we had both had a double shift today, and two? There was a good chance that Connor and his friends would show up at the party which meant two things. Obviously Connor would be there, and that would piss Mitchell off, But George would also be there, and I was sure he would do his best to stir up some trouble.

I wasn't too worried though because we were attending the party not only with Miles and Lani, but also Benji, Marco, and Wes. I hadn't seen much of them lately because of scheduling, but I missed them dearly.

I wore a simple beach cover-up over a white bikini I didn't often get much use for. The party, like most, was going to be on the beach, and I wanted to go night surfing. I walked down the stairs to see Mitchell already waiting for me, and he greeted me with a kiss on the bottom step.

A couple nights ago when we had gone to get ice cream after our slight fail of a date at Dave's, we had begun to ask each other questions, ones that I had previously thought I knew the answer to, and we had realized that a lot could change in three years. Mitchell wasn't the same boy I remembered, but that was okay.

We heard a honk outside, signaling us that Miles was outside waiting. Mitchell and I were riding with him and Lani while Benji, Marco, and Wes would be arriving together. Mitchell grabbed one of his large hoodies off of the couch, and we walked outside, hopping into Miles's car and greeting both him and Lani.

"Are you guys excited?" Miles asked as we settled in the backseat.

"Yeah," I replied with a smile. It wasn't often that I was truly excited to go to parties, but this one was being thrown by Rudy, a guard from tower 3, who I knew from school. We were just school friends even though we got along quite well. Though we didn't hang out much outside of AP Chemistry, every time we saw each other, it was like nothing had changed.

And I couldn't deny that a small part of wanted to see Connor, if only to gaze at him for a moment and gauge how he was doing.

"So," Mitchell replied back to Miles with a smile on his face that I knew without a doubt was most certainly fake. I knew he wasn't particularly excited about this party, but I couldn't quite figure out why his response was so fake.

"Immeasurably," Lani added sarcastically, lifting her head off the gaze of her phone for a moment before putting it back down.

This drew a laugh from both me and Miles, but I noticed that Mitchell only clenched his jaw and tightened his arm that was resting around my shoulders.

Miles took off toward the party, parking just a few yards from the entrance to the beach, the perks of throwing parties late at night, and we walked inside.

I wasn't surprised to see Benji, Marco, and Wes already waiting for us near the entrance, and I pulled my hand from Mitchell's to run up to the boys and hug them.

"There's my girlfriend!" Wes joked as he pulled me in for a hug, reverting back to the old long running joke him and Marco had that I was dating either of them.

"Are you mad? She's mine." Marco responded, rolling his eyes and pulling me from Wes's arms.

"Actually, she's mine," Mitchell replied lowly, his voice deeper than I had ever heard before, and Marco immediately let me go.

I turned to look at my boyfriend, a light smile still lingering on my face from the joking, but it dropped off instantly once I saw there was no humor at all in his eyes. "It's just a joke, M. They've been joking around for years," I told him, placing my hand on his arm and trying to calm him.