Don't Hate Me

Chapter Thirty-Four: Don't Hate Me

I had gotten home late that night. Connor had to stay at the hospital one more day so that they could monitor his vitals. Luckily, like him his mom only had minor non life-threatening injuries. I pulled into the driveway and simply sat there, dreading going inside and how awkward things would be. Not to mention if Mitchell was still mad and wanted to pick another fight. I was curious if he had told our families what had happened.

My mom had texted me around 4 pm, asking me if I was going to stay with Connor until visiting hours ended. I told her yes, but besides that, she hadn't mentioned anything about Mitchell.

I finally worked up the nerve to go inside. I slowly turned my car off, got out of it, locked my doors, and walked up to the front door. 

The house was quiet. It was nearing half past ten, visiting hours had ended at ten, and I had taken the scenic route to get home. I didn't see any of the Cox family as I walked further into the house, but when I reached the living room, I saw my mom sat in the same barstool she was earlier this morning.

When she saw me, she stood up quickly to give me a hug. "Hallie, you're home. Are you hungry?" she asked, pulling back to search my face.

"Yeah, actually." I told her.

"Sit, sit." She told me, pushing me onto a barstool and going to the fridge. "What would you like? We have leftover burgers, I could make you Mac and Cheese, we could order a pi-"

"Mom, where is Mitchell?" I asked, calling out the elephant in the room.

My mom froze. She slowly turned around to face me, an unreadable look on her face. "Umm, well you see, we all thought it would be better for them to go stay in a hotel."

A bit of panic took over my face, "Why? What happened?"

"Hallie, we heard your conversation." My mom told me reluctantly.

"You heard?" I asked as shame flooded through me.

"I think the whole neighborhood did," my mom replied, biting her lip and looking at me anxiously.

I slumped back onto the stool, dropping my head into my hands, "God, that's so embarrassing. I'm so sorry-"

"Honey, you have nothing to be sorry about. I didn't know your relationship was like that- I can't believe it." My mom rushed over to me, rubbing my arms. "I can't believe he said those things to you."

I stayed silent, looking at the ground. I didn't think I had it in me to cry again tonight, but then I began to remember the hateful words Mitchell spewed at me.

Won't this be a story for the boys back at home?

He was trying to make it seem like I had always just been some conquest for him, like he never actually cared about me. I wanted to think he couldn't have faked everything, but I didn't know. Did I even know Mitchell? 

Was it all an act because he was hurt? Or was he really just that shitty of a person?

It's a shame we never fucked though, that would have made it all the more better.

What type of person says stuff like that?

I finally spoke up, "Will you make me some Mac and Cheese?"

My mom laughed slightly, though I could tell it was somewhat forced and there were tears in her eyes, "Of course, sweetie." She told me, and walked to the pantry to get a box of Mac and Cheese ready.

She had just put the noodles in the boiling water when her phone began to ring. She answered it after the second ring, "Hello?" She asked with a warm smile on her face.