Actually Team Hallie

Chapter Thirteen: Actually Team Hallie

Throughout the weekend and all of yesterday, ever since the bonfire on Friday, I'd felt like Mitchell was avoiding me. Today, that would end though because we had the same shift, and he physically could no longer avoid me.

I walked downstairs for breakfast to see Jace already sitting there, but Mitchell wasn't up yet.

"Isn't it a lovely Tuesday morning?" Jace asked with a wide smile on his face.

"So lovely." I replied as I yawned.

"I don't appreciate your sarcasm." Jace replied and turned back to his cereal.

I rolled my eyes at him and decided to have a granola bar and a glass of orange juice this morning.

"How's guarding?" Jace asked as I sat across from him.

"It's fine." I replied.

"Heard you saved a kid the other day?"

"Yeah, it was no big deal..."

"No big deal? You saved him, Hallie. That's a pretty commendable feat. I'm proud of you."

"Thanks Jacey."

Jace's eyes focused on something behind me, "Ah, Mitchell. What a wonderful morning it is."

"Yup." Mitchell replied, getting a bowl of cereal ready.

"Man you two suck... whatever I'm done here." Jace sighed and out his bowl in the sink before leaving the kitchen.

Mitchell glanced at the spot Jace had just vacated and then up at the stairs, "I'm just gonna take this to my r-"

"Stop." I motioned for him to sit down, "You've been avoiding me." I stayed, "Why?"

"I haven't been avoiding you." Mitchell replied with a surprisingly convincing tone.

"Yes you have. Ever since Friday." I added, "Just tell me why... you wanted to be friends again, and friends tell each other stuff." I tried guilting him.

"You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

"Can we just... not talk about it?" Mitchell asked quietly.

"Yeah... okay." I replied softly.

"So, how was your shift yesterday? Save any more lives?" Mitchell asked with a small grin and I knew he was done talking about why he'd been avoiding me.

"Haha very funny, M." I replied with a laugh and a slight eye roll, and a soft smile spread across Mitchell's face. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just been a long time since..."

"Since?"

"I don't know, since we were like this, you know? Happy and laughing with each other... it's nice." He looked up at me slowly and then looked away quickly, smiling sheepishly.

"Yeah, I missed you." I replied with a grin.

"I missed you too, Hallie...more than you know." Mitchell said, murmuring the last part quietly so that's I barely heard it, but it warmed my heart a little bit.

All these years spent wondering if he missed me too, and I finally knew.

He did.

+++

"Soooo..." Miles said, turning to face me yet again in our regular spot in the tower. "What happened between you and Mitchell?"

"Nothing, why?" I replied, in hindsight, probably a bit too quickly.

"Cause he looks up here every couple minutes and smiles at you, and the vibe between you two is just closer." Miles responded, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Huh, I don't know." I shrugged rather nonchalantly.

"And don't you dare think I didn't notice you and Connor on Friday, what the hell is going on there?" Miles asked with a smirk.

"Okay that? That was nothing, that was just two exes who ended on bad terms-"

"Hallie, that was something, and you know it." Miles said softly.

"I- it wasn't supposed to be anything, I just forgot how hot Connor is, that's all." I replied, though I knew it wasn't the complete truth... since when did I start lying to Miles?

"So, Mitchell or Connor? What are you gonna do?" Miles asked. He was done joking, now he was being serious, but it wasn't a conversation I was ready to have yet.

"Miles, I don't know. I-" I replied, getting a little bit worked up.

"Hey, hey, chill you're good." He said quickly, putting his hand on my back. "It's okay, Hallie."

"I mean, Connor probably doesn't even wanna- he was probably just being, you know, Connor." I stated simply.

Miles looked at me as if he was urging me to go on.

"He's a ladies man." I clarified.

"Just because he can pull girls doesn't mean he does. Maybe he wants you back?" Miles theorized.

I laughed, "Whose team are you on? Mitchell's or Connor's?"

"I'm actually on Team Hallie." Miles replied with a pointed look, "I want for you, whatever is gonna make you the most happy."

"And that's why I love you." I replied.

"Love you back." Miles laughed.