Dream Come True

Chapter Nineteen: Dream Come True

I wrapped my arms around Cal in a goodbye of sorts. "I'll see you around, big bro." I said to him as he leaned down to pick me up slightly and squeeze me.

"Love you, Hal." He whispered in my ear before he set me down, he pulled back, his eyes glistening with what I thought could've been a tear before he said, "I'm so proud of you."

"Love you back," I told him with a smile.

After Cal, I turned to Lexi. She wrapped me up in her arms and held me tight, "My little Hal, I'm gonna miss you." 

I buried my head in her shoulder and squeezed her back, "I'm gonna miss you too." 

"Call me, about anything, anytime. I love you so much." Lexi told me, her eyes damp. Everytime Lexi and Jace had to leave, Lexi always got a bit emotional, but nowhere near as much as Jace, though he liked to try and hide it.

And then it was time to say goodbye to Jace. As I slowly turned toward him, a grin already spreading across my face, he rolled his eyes and huffed. "Don't look at me like that." He groaned.

"Like what, Jacey?" I asked him and he place his palm flat on my forehead and shoved backwards. "Hey!" I exclaimed, glaring at him as he laughed.

"Come here, squirt." He said, gathering me into his arms and leaning down to rest his head on my shoulder. "I miss you so much, you know that?"

"You haven't even left yet!" I exclaimed, though hugging him back just as tightly. "But I miss you too."

Jace began to sway side to side with his arms still wrapped around me. It was kind of silly, but I couldn't quite say I minded.

"I love you," he whispered, his voice choking slightly.

"I love you too," I replied, mine probably doing the same, but I couldn't bring myself to care.

My mom and I watched as first Cal, then Jace and Lexi drove away. The moment was bittersweet. The house wouldn't be as crowded anymore, but I would miss them so much. My mom pulled me into a hug before we went inside, and I noticed she was crying.

"I love you so much, Hallie." She said into my hair.

"Love you too mom," I replied, hugging her back though slightly confused.

"I know I wasn't there for Jace or Cal, and I wasn't there for you as much as I should've been, but I'm glad I realized it in the end." She whispered.

"They understand mom, they love you. And I do too." I replied, hugging her tighter as I heard her stifle a choked sob. 

We stood like that for a few minutes before my mom pulled back, wiped her eyes and we went inside.

++++

"Alright Hallie," Miles said turning to me after putting the car in park, "ready to get wasted?"

We were parked in front of a large house that was on a private strip of beach, except unlike mine, this house was upscale. Like fancy fountain out in front, three story, mini mansion type. The party was being thrown by Lani McHale, a guard from tower 13, and a total all American daddy's girl, so Miles said.

Her parents owned half of the boardwalk, which was how they could afford this house.

"Guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be," I sighed and opened the passenger side door.

This morning had been a repeat of yesterday morning, if not more cold. Miles and I worked morning shift, and Mitchell was scheduled for noon shift. He didn't even come out of his room by the time I was leaving, and I hadn't seen him since last night.