Could Have Called

Chapter Two: Could Have Called

"Hallie, why the hell are you wearing shorts?" Miles asked as I hopped off of my bike and leaned it against the side of the lifeguard shack.

"We've got some family friends staying with us this summer, and my mom didn't want me to freak 'em out by not wearing pants." I replied to him and he made a face back at me.

"You look like a shoobie." He laughed, and called at Benji who was already up in the shack, "Yo B, come look at Hal!"

"Shut up, you asshole." I groaned and rolled my eyes, taking off my shorts and laying them on the seat of my bike before grabbing my torp from the basket of my bike.

Miles just laughed at me as Benji walked down the stairs, "Are you fools ready to workout?" he asked us with a fake disapproving frown.

"Aw man, do we have to?" Miles whined even though he was the most physically fit one from this tower. Benji simply ignored him because this was something that happened on a daily basis. Miles complained about the morning workout and then dusted Benji and I on the run.

"When do you think Weston will get here?" I asked Benji as we started off our run.

"You know how he is, he'll probably roll up right at 8 so he can skip the workout." Benji rolled his eyes. "You're working double today, right?"

"Yep." I replied.

"Ok cool, me too, and actually I think Miles might also be double because the new guy hasn't gotten here yet." Benji replied.

"The people at our tower are real reliable this year, huh?" I commented sarcastically.

"Hey, it sucks now but just wait till the end of summer when you get that fat bonus check and they're complaining about how they didn't make enough money." Benji replied with a grin.

"You're right." I replied laughing.

Benji was technically our senior lifeguard, and in charge of our tower, he was only two years older than me and Miles, but he was pretty cool. And Weston was a year younger than Miles and I, but even though he's lazy and skips workouts it's fine because he's the strongest swimmer in our tower.

Just as Benji predicted, Weston rolled up to the tower right as we were all climbing in. "What's up, losers?" He asked with a smirk and knocked Miles' hat off his head.

"What's up, late?" Benji replied, "you've gotta start being on time."

"Or what? You'll fire me?" Weston smirked and plopped down in the chair to my left. "'Sup gorgeous." He said with a wink.

"Oh can it, Wes." I replied with a laugh as I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, everyone knows that Hallie is mine." Miles replied and stuck his tongue out.

I simply rolled my eyes at their antics. Miles and Weston always flirted with a fight over me attitude as a joke, but it was just something I'd gotten used to.

"Hal obviously loves me more." Weston shot back as though it were a clear fact that Miles was oblivious to.

"If the two of you don't shut up, I'll make you clean this tower from top to bottom." Benji groaned and grabbed his torp, "I'm going down to the water, keep an eye out for rip currents, Hallie you're in charge for now."

"Not fair-" Miles started.

"I don't wanna hear it, Miles." Benji interrupted.

+++

Working a double day was always exhausting, but at least I had Benji and Miles by my side throughout it. Wes left at two o'clock and switched out with Marco. Marco was a pretty cool guy, he was older than me and Miles but younger than Benji.