In His Arms

Chapter Thirty-One: In His Arms

"Hallie!" My mom called from around the side of the house, "Come help me with this board!"

The hurricane was supposed to be arriving tomorrow and because we were so close to the beach, we were boarding up all of the windows. It had thankfully downgraded from Category 3 to Category 2, but it would still be hitting us pretty hard.

Mitchell, his dad, my mom, and I were working on boarding up all the windows, while his mom and Jill were currently at the store, getting food and gallons of water. I ran to the side of the house to help my mom hold a rather large board up to the window while Mitchell and his dad attached it to the window.

Mitchell had shed his shirt about twenty minutes ago and kept throwing me winks while we were working. He was very fit and very lean, there was no doubt he was in good shape, and guarding had only enhanced that. Him and Connor were actually very similar, Mitchell was just a couple inches shorter and a little bit less bulky.

I'd heard nothing from Connor. I didn't know how he was or what was he doing. I wondered if he was at home, with his family again, or if he was still alternating between George and Logan's house. I knew neither of them minded having him stay at theirs, but knowing Connor... he would. He was never one to ask for favors or do anything to inconvenience anyone.

When we were together, he refused to let me pay for anything of his, and it took a hell of a lot of convincing for him to let me pay for my own food. He would always drive me home in the morning if I slept over after a party, and it took forever for him to finally open up to me about things that were bothering him.

I'd probably ruined that.

Even though I knew I shouldn't, I was still extremely worried about him, but as I glanced over at Mitchell to see another one of his cute smiles, I knew I wouldn't call him. It might eat me up inside, but the guilt of calling him and knowing it would upset Mitchell would kill me, not to mention if Mitchell found out.

The wind had already started to pick up outside, and there were clouds beginning to roll into the area. The waves on the strip of ocean in our backyard crashed loudly onto the shore. They were picking up, angry and violent already, and I saw a frown forming on my mom's face.

I knew why.

Every time there was a lower category hurricane, some of the guards would go out and try to surf the big waves. It was extremely dangerous, but it was also one of the most thrilling, rush of adrenaline type things that you could do.

I remember I had gone out last year with Connor, Wes, and Miles while they thought me and Connor were still just friends. We had wiped out more times than I could count, but the momentary fleeting second of freedom you feel once you catch onto one of those waves is worth the fall every time.

I saw my mom begin giving me and Mitchell worried glances through the side of her eyes when she thought I wasn't looking. My mom had always been pretty chill, but I knew she didn't want me going out again. She was of the opinion that forbidding your kid from doing something would only wanna make them do it more, that you should support your kid and make sure they're safe in whatever they do rather than push them away.

However, after the fourth or so side glance I spoke up, "Don't worry, mom. I won't go this year."

Mitchell's head turned toward me with confusion clouding his eyes while my mom sighed a breath of relief.

"Go where?" He asked.

"A lot of guards go surfing before a big hurricane comes because of the waves," I saw Mitchell's eyes light up at the mention, "But it's very dangerous for novice and even intermediate surfers." I finished, giving him a pointed look.