It's Okay, Baby

Chapter Twenty-Three: It's Okay, Baby

"And then he left?" Miles asked incredulously as we sat in the guard tower together.

"Yup," I replied with a closed mouth smile, "then he left."

"Does Mitchell know he came to see you?" Miles questioned.

"Nope," I replied shaking my head, "I didn't think it was relevant cause I, you know, basically told Connor not to talk to me anymore."

"Are you sure that's why?" Miles asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Honestly? Nope." I replied sighing and looking out on the horizon. If I was being completely and totally honest with myself, I was afraid that Mitchell would get mad, or extremely jealous and insecure.

"Damn, Lani's gonna have a fit over thi-"

"Actually Miles, can we not tell Lani about this? Nothing against her, it's just- I kinda wanna be done talking about it." I interrupted. Truly there was nothing I had against Lani, but the more I talked about the situation, the more I began to question my decision, and Lani had made it clear that she wasn't Mitchell's biggest fan.

One look at the boy down on the beach, watching where the waves broke on the sand through caused those doubts to disappear. As if he sensed I was watching him, Mitchell turned around and waved slightly to which I simply smiled.

Miles had brought him home, passed out, about thirty minutes after Connor left, and I had surprisingly successfully helped him carry Mitchell up to his bed.

Then the next day, I had nursed my boyfriend's hangover while he whined about never drinking that much again. He didn't say anything about the previous night, and neither did I, instead deciding to chalk it up to all of the alcohol he had in his system and let him off the hook.

"Yeah, that's fine." Miles replied quickly. "But you're sure about cutting off all contact with Connor?"

"It's for the best."

+++

"So I was thinking," Mitchell began as he walked over to the couch, sitting down on it and wrapping one arm around me.

"Don't hurt yourself," I replied jokingly to which he laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Haha, very funny, Hallie. Anyway, I was thinking we should go on a date tonight." Mitchell finished.

Our shift had ended about thirty minutes ago and now we were both simply chilling on the couch inside as it was almost 105° outside.

"And where were you thinking we go?" I asked Mitchell with an ever growing smile on my face.

"Somewhere with A/C." Mitchell replied grinning and tilting his head to the side to look at me before placing a gentle kiss on my lips. "I'll never get tired of that."

I smiled in response and kissed him again. Kissing Mitchell made me feel tingly inside, and it was a feeling I wanted to get used to.

"Agreed, I don't know how we survived the shift today, but I truly think if I'm outside for more than five minutes I'll melt." I responded as Mitchell's hand traced patterns up my arm.

"You know, on second thought, maybe we should just stay here." Mitchell replied grinning as he once again pressed his lips to mine, but this time it wasn't a short kiss.

Our families were out doing something, and Mitchell and I weren't oblivious to the fact that we had the whole house to ourselves for the next hour or so. It was such a rare occurrence that I wasn't surprised Mitchell was trying to take advantage of it.