Break It Again

Chapter Twenty-Five: Break It Again

By chance when I turned and looked at the Wilson family, I locked eyes with Connor for a short second before he rolled his eyes and looked away. I didn't want to admit that I'd hoped he'd be shocked to see me, possibly grateful? After all, I was the one he told about all of his family drama. I was the one who knew everything he was going through.

But I should have known better. Last time we spoke, I told him we shouldn't speak again, so of course he wouldn't be any type of happy to see me.

I turned back to face Mitchell who had an apprehensive look on his face. "Well," I stayed with a sigh, "What looks good on the menu?"

Mitchell flashed me a grin as he looked down at his menu, and I looked down at mine, both of our eyes gazing up for a fleeting second, locking eyes and laughing.

+++

"After you left, god I was a mess," Mitchell told me with a shy smile shaking his head. "I almost did not pass sophomore year,"

"No way," I replied back with a slight laugh of disbelief. "It couldn't have been that bad."

"No I'm dead serious, I was failing chemistry!" Mitchell replied earnestly, his grin growing wider, "Probably because the one girl I had chemistry with left the city..." he continued with a mischievous smirk and a flirty tone.

"Oh haha, very funny, M." I told him, rolling my eyes but the smile never leaving my face.

"It's true! You're the girl for me, Hallie Johnson." Mitchell replied, holding up his hands in defense.

"Don't act like there weren't other girls," I said with a pointed look.

Mitchell shook his head quickly, "Nope," he replied, wiping the smile off his face.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Okay fine. There were a couple girls, but they never meant anything." Mitchell answered, finally admitting it.

"Oh I'm sure they'd love to hear that," I replied sarcastically, but my tone was light and teasing.

"Hey, in my defense," Mitchell started, holding up his hands defensively once again, "I had to make sure I was a good kisser for when I finally got my girl."

"Your girl?" I questioned, giving him my best you've got to be kidding me look.

"Yeah, you." He answered with a wink.

"Well, your plan really didn't work out too well then did it..." I replied trailing off, looking over to the side but glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

When he finally realized what I meant, he shouted, "Hallie!" and then quieted his voice once he realized the whole of the restaurant had heard him, "You know that's not true." He continued, but much quieter.

"I mean..." I said, trailing off again with a smile on my face, clearly teasing him.

"I guess we'll just have to settle this tonight then," Mitchell finished, smirking devilishly at me like he already knew he'd won.

"Guess so..." I replied with a smirk of my own, there was no way I was letting Mitchell win this, even if I knew I was completely and utterly incorrect and simply just messing with him.

As far as kissing went, Mitchell was one of the best I'd ever kissed.

"Now what about you? How many other guys?" Mitchell asked, shifting the subject of focus from himself and the girls who he supposedly only used for kissing practice onto me. Me who had an ex sitting just a few tables away...