Never Have I...

Chapter Twenty-One: Never Have I...

Somehow Lani had convinced me to attend yet another party, however, she wasn't throwing this one. It was being held in some guard's backyard on his private strip of beach. He was from Tower 7 which was neutral territory between us and Tower 8 and meant we would likely be seeing them there. I didn't really care though, especially since I had Mitchell's hand in mine.

Connor still had not called or responded to any of my texts, which worried me slightly, but I supposed I couldn't force him. Hopefully, I would see him tonight and be able to talk to him, though I wasn't sure how thrilled Mitchell would be about that. It was just something he was going to have to deal with though.

Mitchell, Lani, Miles, and I arrived in swimsuits all together. Sure we were night surfing, but there were tons of lifeguards here, alleviating my anxiety about it. And the guard, Leo, I had learned his name was, had the beach space lit very well.

As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by the one and only George, however.

"Well, well, well look what we have here." He said with a slight laugh, his eyes zeroing in on Mitchell and my hands. "Can't say I'm surprised, what I will say, however, we'll see how long this lasts." He chuckles darkly to himself before glancing over to Miles and rolling his eyes.

His attention then turned suddenly to Lani, "Never expected to see you hanging out with these low-life's, daddy's girl." He smirked. "Oh wait, actually it all makes sense now. Perfect girl gets her heart broken and starts acting out against mommy and daddy, throws away her future, and forever lives off a trust fund, sound about right?" He asked her innocently.

"Can it, George," Lani replied rolling her eyes at him. "It's so funny to me that you actually think anyone respects you or cares about what you have to say. Everyone knows you just bully people because you're insecure."

"Please," George responded as if it were the most ridiculous thing that he'd ever heard. "What would I have to be insecure about?"

"You don't need a reason to be insecure. Some people just are." Lani replied with a shrug and then shouldered past him, to which the rest of us followed.

It was probably the first time I'd ever seen George speechless, and that proved to me, that Lani had really hit deep. Before I had much time to think about it though-

"Let's dance," Mitchell said with a smirk, pulling me close to him as we walked further onto the beach.

"Sure," I replied with a smile. There was a little bonfire in the center of the beach, and there were some people dancing around it, some people hanging out in the ocean, and some people just sitting on the sand and talking in groups.

I was not surprised to see Lani and Miles dancing together, though I knew they were just friends. There was some merit to what George had said, it was true Lani had gotten her heart broken, and she wasn't really looking for anything. Miles, I knew, also wasn't looking for anything.

Mitchell and I had only danced to a few top billboard hits when he decided to go get drinks. "I'll be right back, Hal," He said, kissing me on the cheek and walking up the beach to where the keg stand and coolers were.

Taking some time to look around at the other people at the party, in particular to search for someone that I was sure was here, I instead found nothing, but was startled by a presence behind my right shoulder.

"He's not here," the voice said, the smirk that I couldn't see dripping into the tone. I turned around and standing there was the one and only, George.

"Who?" I asked him innocently, playing dumb.

He shot me a side eye look before continuing, choosing to look out at the ocean instead of at me. "Connor," he replied, humoring my question. "He's been a real fun suck lately, this whole past year really." George commented as he moved up to stand directly next to me on the right instead of behind me.