One Day Truce

Chapter Four: One Day Truce

When Mitchell and I got home last night, I went straight to my room and never came down, so going down to breakfast this morning, I was anxious.

Would things be weird between the two of us? Would he try to talk to me? Or would he simply forget last nights conversation, when he showed me his emotions for a fraction of a second, had never happened and continue to ignore me?

My question was answered when I walked into the kitchen, and he was sitting at the high top, eating a bowl of cereal. It was somewhat surprising to see him there considering it was just past six in the morning.

"Hey," he said quietly.

"Hey," I replied, and then against my better judgement, "You're up early."

"I had a hard time sleeping." He looked down at his bowl, "I don't know, it's just so quiet here at night I'm used to the city."

"I had a hard time adjusting when we first moved too, I didn't sleep much the first month. But it helps if you open a window and let the sound of the waves crashing pull you to sleep." I saw him since slightly when I mentioned the move.

"I'll try that tonight I guess." He was quiet for a moment, "Do you want cereal?" He asked as he held up the box of cereal that was sitting on the table next to him.

"Yeah thanks," I replied and climbed onto the counter to grab a bowl from the cabinet.

I poured myself some, and sat across from him at the table, and we ate in silence. It was a weird mood in the room, almost as if he was tiptoeing around me, but I was also tiptoeing around him.

I don't think either of us meant to have the conversation we did last night, and we both gave away things we didn't want the other knowing. But the truth of the matter was that Mitchell had hurt me when he stopped caring, and now I wasn't so sure that he had stopped.

A welcomed break in the silence came about ten minutes later when Jill walked into the kitchen.

"Hallie!" She ran up to me and hugged me. "I never really got to talk to you yesterday! Your mom took us out to dinner at a Crab Shack, which was great, but I wanted to talk to you. I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, Jill." I replied with a smile as I returned her hug.

Jill grabbed a cup of yogurt from the fridge and plopped herself down next to me and began talking a mile a minute, trying to fill me in on everything that had happened in the past two years. Somewhere in the midst of it, Mitchell got up and put his bowl in the dishwasher, leaving to go somewhere else in the house, I supposed.

"I'm just so glad to see you again!" She ended with a hug after about thirty minutes of rambling on. "I wasn't sure when I'd ever see you again. I've missed you so so much, me and Mitch both have. And when mom and dad told us we were coming to stay with you and your mom this summer, we were so happy!"

"Mitchell? Missed me?" I asked quietly, cutting into her ongoing stream of consciousness.

"Yeah silly, you two were best friends." Jill replied, looking at me like I was from some other planet. I guessed he hadn't told her what he said to me, or how we never talked again after I moved.

"You're right, I guess." I laughed, but brushed it off. Of course he probably didn't want to tell his little sister, or his mom who was such close friends with mine, that he was a total jerk to his best friend of nine years and never intended to speak to her again.

"When does your shift start today?" Jill asked me sweetly.

"8 am, but I get off at 2, so maybe we can hang out after. I'll take you to some of my favorite places." I told her and she nodded excitedly.