Always Been You

Chapter Thirty-Three: Always Been You

I burst into the waiting room of the ER, eyes frantically searching, when I saw George already there, sitting in a chair with his head in his hands, "Where is he?" I screamed. George's head shot up and he stood up quickly, taking long strides toward me. When he reached me, he pulled me into his arms, but I pulled back, "Where the hell is he?" I screamed at him while pounding my hand on his chest.

I noticed that a few people around the waiting room were giving me pitiful glances, but I wasn't the only one losing my mind. There was another lady, probably a couple years older than my mom, also having a breakdown and screaming at one of the nurses behind the front desk.

George rubbed my back comfortingly, hushing me and pulling me back into his chest. I wondered how he was being so calm, but as I let myself relax into his chest I could feel that he was shaking with fear. He didn't know anything more than I did.

I wanted to run up to the front desk and begin my own one-sided screaming match with the people behind the desk, but I knew that would get me absolutely beyond nowhere. "George," I murmured, "What happened?"

He took in a shaky breath, "I was driving, and there was this big slow down, and as I neared it I saw this huge pileup, maybe six or seven cars. There were ambulances, firetrucks- it was absolute chaos, and I saw the Wilson car in the middle of it all." He spoke slow at first, speeding up as he got past the first few words and then it was all just tumbling out. "I parked where I was and ran over, but they weren't in the car, they weren't around- the car was crushed Hallie, absolutely crushed- I screamed at a couple paramedics until they told me he was probably already on the way to the hospital, and then I called you and got here." George finished with a hiccuped breath, his hold on me tightening.

"Did you talk to them yet?" I asked him, jerking my thumb at the nurses behind the counter who were trying to calm the screaming woman.

"No, I- I couldn't, I just- I couldn't bring myself to it." George admitted, frowning down at his shoes shamefully. "I'm scared, so scared."

"We can do it together then." I told him, pulling back from his embrace and linking my arm in his, I slowly walked us over to the counter and around the screaming lady where one of the nurses broke off from trying to calm her, relieved at the distraction. "I- We umm, we're uhh- Connor Wilson? Is he- is he okay?" I blurted out, stumbling over my words.

The nurse looked down into the computer, typing in the name. His face was neutral, betraying nothing as he turned to us, "He was brought in a bit ago. What is your relation to him?"

"We're his friends, best friends." George supplied quickly, filling in for me.

"Sir, I'm sorry-" The nurse began but George interrupted him.

"Look, he was brought in with his mom, and we're all he has besides his little sister who's a minor!" George exclaimed, "Please, we need to know if he's okay." Desperation seeped into his voice, his eyes wide, begging and pleading with the nurse, "If you want money, I can give you money, please. One thousand dollars, two?"

"He's being operated on, currently." The nurse released with a sigh. "You're welcome to wait for him."

"And his mom?" George asked, "You know, the mayor?"

"In operation as well." The nurse responded.

George sighed, half of the stress and tension leaving his body though there was still plenty left in him.

A part of me was extremely relieved to know he was being operated on, because that meant he wasn't dead. However, at the same time I had no idea what type of condition he was in or whether he would make it out of the operation alive, and the uncertainty was killing me.