What the Hell?

Guess who?

Chapter Nine: What the Hell?

"What the hell?" Jill shrieked from downstairs as I ran down the steps to see what had happened.

What I saw surprised me.

Jill, and the floor around her was soaking wet, and the culprit?

Jace Johnson, himself.

"Shit, sorry Jill! I thought you were Hallie." Jace apologized, dropping the bucket he'd carried the water in.

Jill simply laughed, "I figured."

"You were going to drench me in water?" I questioned my big brother.

"Hallie!" He exclaimed, finally noticing me. "Don't worry, I'll get you later."

By this point, Mitchell had come down the stairs behind me to see what was going on, but whereas I was fully dressed, he was only wearing a pair of shorts, and his abs were on full display.

"Sup, Mitchell." Jace commented.

"Hey Jace." Mitchell replies, and seeing that nothing was truly wrong though, he turned to go back up the stairs and finish getting dressed, while Jill walked upstairs to change clothes.

Jace enveloped me into a bear hug, lifting me off of the ground and twirling me in the air. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, Jacey." I replied with a smirk.

He groaned, "God, not that stupid nickname again."

"You know you love it." I replied, teasing him. "Hey, where's Lex?"

"She's flying in tomorrow, has to finish up some work stuff, but she told me it was fine if I came to surprise you a day early." Jace responded.

Jace and Lexi, now officially old people, had gotten married five years ago. The high school sweethearts had stayed together after a few short term breakups during long distance in college.

The one thing I knew to be most true in the world, was Jace and Lexi's love. I could only hope to find a love like theirs one day.

"I can't believe you're here! I haven't seen you since Christmas!" I exclaimed, hugging him.

Jace, of course, FaceTimed me and mom every week, but it wasn't the same as getting to physically hug him.

"It's been way too long, Lex and I ought to start visiting more often, huh?" Jace asked, ruffling my head. We walked into the living room to sit and talk. "I'll never get over how amazing this place is. I wish we lived here when I was still in high school."

"If we had, you would have never gotten wrapped up in all that stuff with the Old Bridge, and you would've never met Lexi." I pointed out.

"I take it back, I'm glad we didn't live here." Jace said almost immediately, "I mean, the Bridge, I could have lived without. But I can't imagine my life without Lexi."

"She's the best." I agreed, smiling.

Lexi was less like the stereotypical sister-in-law to me, and more like my actual sister. She'd practically raised me when I was 5, and even after she went to college, she made sure to stop by and see me everytime she went home to visit. As soon as I got a phone, she texted me everyday, and she knew everything. Especially about Mitchell.

It would be interesting to see her reaction to him when she got here tomorrow, and her reaction to our newfound friendship. I knew she hadn't told Jace any of what he did, because he didn't try to beat Mitchell up when he saw him.