Chapter 7.5: Thane

Chapter 7.5

Thane's P.O.V

Terrified. The great alpha of the blood moon pack was terrified. Never in my life have I felt like this. Like a wuss if I was being honest.

She terrified the shit out of me and yet made me feel so powerful all at once. The tales I grew up hearing of what a mate's bond felt like had no comparison to what I felt when I first saw her.

Emery. The name of my beautiful mate sent a sweet chill down my spine. My emotions were all over the place when I was around her. I was scared, in love, confused and filled with desire. She was different. She defied me and threw curses and tantrums my way but that's what made her special.

I mean she annoyed the life out of me but in the most precious way.

No matter how anyone described the bond of a mate it was profound experiencing it for myself. It was indescribable, it was powerful.

It was this moment that I realized the saying was true, love made a person do stupid things, and a fool I was.

Instead of revealing to her what and who I am, I chickened out.

She looked so vulnerable and tortured that I couldn't have told her the vital information she wanted.

My father, grandfather and each other great grand before me, each told their mate who they were a few hours after the ritual.

But me? 

No. Nope. I couldn't do it and I still can't. The moment I knew Emery was my mate I knew I couldn't let her go. And leaving will be the first thing she does when she finds out what I am.

I was the beast that haunted her in her the night. The vile creature that over took her dreams and filled her mind with nightmares. I was the demon that she hated with a blazing passion.

It didn't help that she hated the human side of me as well.

The adoration and impetuous love I felt for this girl had me on my toes. The hatred she expressed to me about the 'beast' is what made me petrified of telling her.

How can you tell someone you feel this gleaming emotion for that you're the crazy beast that gives her goose bumps in the night?

I fear that I'm not doing the right thing by not telling her right now. I feel guilty each time I look at her lost eyes. My chest hurts knowing that she feels like an outlander in my home. Most of all I'm petrified of losing her.

What I feel most guilty for is what happened to her not hours ago. The attack from the rouges.

Those were the real monsters. Those iniquitous, so called wolves were the creatures she should fear. They defied everything that stood for wolves. Wolves are majestic, loyal creatures and rouges were those that held no importance for rules and regulations. With that being said there are wolves who were made rouge because of attacks, wars and incompetent alphas but the majority were runaways that didn't see fit following rules and staying in packs.

Those were the creatures that almost took Emery away from me in a blink of an eye.

I let her wander out there give her a few moments to herself and the rogues just had to attack.

I had my pack devour them into shreds of nothingness. All that was left was wolves' fur and flesh lying on the forested floor.

But I had them inmate one. I couldn't kill him in front of Emery's eyes because she would come to know what I am.

The rouge that tried to lunge for my mate is the one whose blood I craved.

After ensuring Emery was safe and had someone to watch over her I left to complete my job. I left Bailey, my beta Lucas's mate, keep my mate company. Lucas is my beta as well as my best friend. We grew up together since our days in diapers and playing with rattles.