Chapter 36: Dead or Alive

A/N: Just in case you get confused in reading the beginning of this chapter check the A/N at the end; spoiler warning though.

Chapter 36

My lungs felt the rush of air flowing into it as I suddenly felt every part of my body. It was as if my body had somehow disappeared and now I was suddenly reattached to it.

However, I felt strange.

I felt as if I was being pulled under water and drowning. No matter how hard I fought, I couldn't move or open my eyes.

A metaphorical anchor was weighing me down into the dark abyss and I couldn't see where I was going. My body wouldn't even allow me to fight my way through it.

The weight was pressed against my chest and even though I could feel my lungs working and I was breathing, the heavy sensation had me struggling to gather air into my lungs.

The pressure of the weight crushed me as I continuously gasped for air.

Suddenly a wave of pain washed over me and I was pulled further back into the darkness.

~~~

A haziness found me as I felt myself surface back close to consciousness but I wasn't quite out of the murky waters yet.

My mind felt a ringing sensation in it as distant noises and voices all jumbled together in a big blurb of pandemonium.

I tried to untangle each piece of sound to unload the pressure of the racket going on in my head but it was like trying to untangle the wires of a pair of earphones in the dark.

No matter which end of the wire you pulled, it remained a tight knot.

Fighting a battle with my own mind, I finally distinguished each sound on its own.

The first thing I heard was a beeping noise.

Every thing was very distant but it sounded like a heart monitor. However I couldn't be sure.

The haziness of the darkness I was trapped in and the pressure on my lungs exhausted my senses.

The beeping on the machine was irregular. The palpitations between each beat was much slower than it should have been for anyone.

A sudden voice then cut through the air and immediately caught my attention.

"Come back to me baby..."

It sounded vaguely familiar but my muddled mind couldn't place a face to the voice.

But whoever it was made my heart beat come to life.

The voice was like music to my ears.

I sensed within me a blossom of feelings. It was a strange sensation but as the voice went on, I could hear the heart monitor pick up into a more steady rate.

It was as if the voice was healing the heart.

My attention shifted back to the voice as it went out.

"My mother told me that you said you couldn't live without me, well it's the same for me Emery. I can't live without you." I heard the voice break and a peculiar tenderness grew in my chest to comfort this person.

"Whatever brought me back, saved you too... It saved us both for a reason and I need you to wake up love. I need to hear your voice. I need to hold you in my arms."

And I tried.

I tried desperately hard to break through the surface and find this man.

But the waves of darkness were tormenting me and pulling me further back into the emptiness.