Chapter 31: Heartbroken

Chapter 31

Thane was dead.

I screamed.

~~~

"Wake up Emery! Wake up!" I heard someone yell and pulled me from my sleep.

I peeled my eyes opened and realized I was screaming like a banshee. I stopped my wailing as I realized it was just a nightmare and Thane was right before my eyes.

He was sitting right next to me with a concerned expression. I threw my arms around him as the tears spilled out my eyes and I buried my face into his neck.

I felt him tense under my arms and was slapped with reality.

He pulled me away from him and got off the bed.

Wait, the bed? I realized that I was sitting on the bed when I clearly remember falling asleep on the sofa in the room.

"It was just a nightmare." He mumbled gruffly, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm okay."

"What did you dream about? That human's dead body?" He said with disgust.

I looked at him with absolute shock that he would throw that in my face, "How could you even ask me that?"

"Because there's clearly nothing else that matters to you except the humans." He shrugged in indifference.

"Well to fact check you, it was actually your body. Lying in my arms as I watched you die." I croaked out as the pain in my chest blossomed.

"Eme-" His expression softened as he tried to reach out to me.

I cut him off, "No! I don't want to hear it. You know, I actually thought that you knew me better than anyone else but you don't! You act like you have me all figured out with being the bad guy but I'm not! I love you and you stand there and accuse me!"

"I-"

"No!" I yelled at him, "Get out."

"I shouldn't have said that." He stepped closer to the bed but I recoiled.

"I said get the hell out!" I shouted at him as fresh tears started to stream down my face.

I watched as his face contorted into guilt but he walked out anyways and slammed the door behind him.

I clutched my chest as the pain in my heart returned with a vengeance. My pain and Thane's pain was all mixed into one through our mate bond and it was consuming me.

I felt my breathing getting labored but it wasn't another panic attack. This time it was the symptom of a heart break.

Something made a loud crash outside as if glass was being broken and it frightened the living daylights out off me.

I sprang out of bed and pulled open the door. It was dark but the kitchen light was on, so I walked over, only to see Thane surrounded by broken glass.

His eyes were bloodshot and I could practically see his body shaking with anger and sadness. His entire demeanor was detached and cold, unlike the warmth that I've grown so accustomed to.

He stood across from me with rage, resentment, guilt and sadness. But I knew I held the same expression for him.

And we just stood there, staring at each other as the minutes ticked by.

He remained silent and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Yesterday," I croaked out because my throat felt constricted, "you said that you would never intentionally hurt me. You said that I was your equal and you'd always protect me. But most importantly, you said you love me."