Chapter Sixteen

Izuku stood in the long hallway and peered through the thick glass window plastered along the wall.His green eyes were focused on Ochaco as she began her physical therapy.The doubts still floated around in his mind even after their heartfelt conversation.The regret still resided in his heart and the sight was difficult to bare.Uraraka had been pushing herself for the past week,and Midoryia could tell she was spent.A weak voice spoke up from behind Deku."You've come here for the past three days."

Izuku turned his head and laid eyes on the  blond man behind him.Yagi's eyes were sunken and the only sign of life were his bright blue eyes.The man's yellow locks were long as ever and a few strands fell over his forehead."What else am I suppose to do?"

Toshinori placed a bony hand on Izuku's shoulder."Forgive yourself ."

Midoryia shook his head and laughed."Forgive myself?That's not exactly easy when my best friend is going through Hell because of me and now you're not able to turn into A-All Might anymore."The last few words were quite difficult for the boy to spit out.

Yagi sighed and took a step forward.The man's was now standing next to Izuku and looked down at the messy-haired boy that was still staring into the room.The deflated hero bit the inside of his cheek as he spoke."I-I was...wrong about you."

This peeked Deku's attention and he turned to look up at the middle-aged man."What do you mean by that?"

Yagi let out a puff of air."You know I had never been the biggest...supporter of yours.I believed you didn't have what it took to be a hero,but with everything that has happened I c-can't help but feel like I had been wrong."

Midoryia looked away from his childhood idol and focused on the brunette struggling in the gym."One of the first things Ochaco ever asked me was why do I want to be a hero?"Toshinori looked down at Izuku and crinkled his forehead."When I was a kid all I wanted was to protect people..."Deku let out a nervous laugh."Just like you,but when she asked me that question-my answer was I don't know?"Yagi wrapped an arm around Izuku and pulled the boy into him."But seeing everything that has happened I now get it.To be a hero you can't run in the hope of keeping people safe,instead you've got to stand strong and put everything on the line."

"What you're feeling is a good thing.The first time I failed it hit me hard and the guilt devastated me,but what happened to young Uraraka could've been much worse.The girl may walk again and that alone is a miracle,so how about instead watching her struggle on her own like you've tried,how about you give her a helping hand."The former symbol of peace then walked away and out the building.

"I don't know-"Midoryia stopped mid-sentence when he realized the man beside him had disappeared.

.....

Izuku stepped through the automatic doors as they parted.He looked around the room for a few moments before spotting his friend.The girl was giving the leg press a try and the struggle was apparent across her face.Her brow was furrowed and her eyes were squinted as she tried to push down.The girl let out a groan of frustration as she failed once again to get just one rep.Izuku frowned at the outcome and slowly walked up to the girl with his hands tucked into his pockets.When he made it to the girl he forced a smile and waved his hand at her."Hey Dek-"The girl's sentence was interrupted by her trying to stand up but her legs not being able to withstand the weight.Before Midoryia could react her physical therapist had already caught her.

The woman let out a sigh as she helped Uraraka onto a bench."You shouldn't push yourself so hard."

Ochaco waved a hand at the auburn-haired woman."I'm not goin' to get better if I don't try."

The professional shook her head."Pushing yourself too hard too soon will only make it worse.I've been doing this for nearly fifteen years,so It would be in your best interest to listen to me."

"I know...but I want to get back on my feet."

Izuku played with his own hair as he spoke."You'll get better,but what he did to you was dangerous.That ability attacks the body and went right after your nerve,and although Recovery Girl did wonders your body still needs a little bit of rest."

Ochaco took a sip from her water bottle."How do ya know so much about this?"

"Because he always used it on me during training."

"Oh."

"Because of my quirk it never affected me like it did you,but it would handicap me for a few days."

Uraraka starred at the carpet below her and continued to sip on her water."How long do you think it will take me to...ya know walk."

Deku sighed as he sat down next to the girl."I-I don't know,...honestly I didn't know someone without a quirk like mine could survive it,but if you didn't die from it then I'm sure you'll be able to walk again."

"Thanks Deku...that means a lot."
.....

Izuku sat in the chair and snored with his mouth cracked open.A textbook was resting across his face and his arm was falling off the small chair.The room was littered with books addressing Ochaco's situation and in the room's bed rested the girl.Her face was troubled as she slept.The entire room had been silent except for the soft snore emitting from the two teens until there was a scream.The sound rocked Izuku awake and the boy fell out of the chair.He landed face first on the floor and shot up.He then looked around confused until he saw Ochaco sitting up with her face resting in her small hands.The girl's breaths were rushed and a cry could be heard.Deku quickly scurried across the room and hoped onto the bed.The boy sat across from the girl peeled her hands apart.He could see the tears in her eyes and the sweat across her brow.Her frizzy,brown hair was scattered across her face.Midoryia was unsure of what to do so he just tried his best to calm her down."Hey,it's okay.I'm right here;you've got nothing to worry about."

The rattled girl looked up at the boy and leaned into him."I'm scared Deku.I had a nightmare and it was terrifying.Y-You were be-being killed by that monster and I cou-couldn't move-my legs wouldn't let me."

Izuku wrapped his hand around the back of her head and ran his fingers through her soft hair."It's okay,I'm not going to let anything happen to either of us.Trust me Dakyoi won't be hurting anyone else."

"B-But it seemed...so real!"

Midoryia pulled the girl in tighter."It's fine,it was just a dream.I have them all the time,and they never come true."

Uraraka cried into his shoulder."I feel so useless like this!"

Izuku began to whisper in the girl's ear."I know,it's hard not being able to move around well without help but you'll get better."

"I can't even do a leg press or walk."

"Don't worry about that right now.All you need a good nights sleep,and you'll feel better.Tomorrow I'm going to take you off the campus so you'll feel better and not so confined.I think some fresh air will do us both some good."

Ochaco whimpered into his shoulder."O-Okay,that sounds good."