Summer Camp

(A/n: cuss words and homophobia)

Connor was in the car, staring out the window with his headphones in. As usual, he was ignoring Larry. Larry had made go on some stupid summer camp because Cynthia was worried he "didn't get out enough." Ugh.

Larry pulled into the parental parking lot.

'You ready Connor?' He asked. Connor grunted in reply. Larry sighed. He didn't know how to get through to Connor anymore. When they were younger, Connor and Zoe were the best of friends. The played pranks on Cynthia and Larry, told jokes. They were the cliché happy family.

'It's going to be great Connor. You'll make some friends and your mom will be happy. I remember when I was your age, summer camp was the highlight of my year. Swimming in lakes, midnight feast. It's great. You will love it!' Connor just got out of the car, not saying a word, and walked up to the camp.

Sighing, Larry pulled Connor's duffel out of the trunk and trudged his way over. He was trying, he really was. Connor just didn't want him to help.

'Hi, I'm Larry Murphy, I'm dropping my son Connor off here for the summer.' While Larry filled out the last-minute paper work, Connor unlocked his phone.

God, this place was going to suck. At least he had unlimited mobile data. Netflix binge-watching here we come! A lady walked up to Connor and stuck out her hand.

'Hi! I'm Heidi Hansen, the camp operator. Welcome! I'll get my son to come and show you around in a moment. We'll give you time to unpack and Evan will give you a tour. Dinner is at 6:30. That should be enough time to meet your cabin mates, right?' Heidi gave a laugh before ushering a teenage boy over. He looked familiar, but Connor couldn't place it.

'This is my son, Evan.' Heidi continued. 'Evan, take Connor to his room and then give him a quick tour of the place.' Evan nodded in reply. Evan ushered Connor out the door.

'H-hey C-Connor. U-um, we don't have t-to talk if you don't w-want to. I mean, i-it would probably dint your social status a-at school or, or whatever.' Evan stuttered nervously.

So that's were Connor knew him from! School. Actually, looking at him again, Connor did recognise Evan from his math's and English classes.

'Nah, It's cool man. Not like I have a social status to dint anyway. Unless being friends with you takes my 'school shooter chic' appearance away, it's all good.' Connor laughs dryly and without humour.

Evan continues giving Connor the tour of the place.

Dinner came and went, and it was now 9pm. S'more time.

The 20 or so campers were situated around a campfire, stick in hand with the sugary goodness cooking.

Connor and Evan were seated next to each other. Evan, being the pure smol bean he is, was getting tired. He slowly began to lean his head on Connor's shoulders. Connor blushed a light pink, but didn't say anything. Evan was kinda cute when he was tired. Connor smiled softly to himself. It hadn't even been a day and heere he was, falling for him.

...

'Hey fag.' Evan stopped, tensing up. He knew that voice. It was the voice of James Dane. It was James's goal to make Evan's life a living hell. He didn't want to be at some camp full of gays and it was all Evans fault because his mom ran it. At least, that's what James thought.

'Not going to say anything? Huh? Cat got your tongue? I saw you and Connor last night at the campfire. Yeah, I saw you leaning your head on him, practically getting a boner at the thought did ya? Well guess what? You don't deserve someone like him. He is too good for you! You don't deserve love. Repeat it back to me. Say that you don't deserve love!'

Evan was petrified. 'I-I, I d-don't d-d-deserve l-love.' He managed to stutter out.

'Very good. But you know I can't just let you go away like that.' And before Evan knew what was happening, every single inch of his body felt like it was on fire as he was being punched over and over. Evan curled up on the ground, tears on his face. James kept kicking him.

Please! Evan thought. Someone please help me!

And for once, his wish actually did come true.

'Get the fuck away from him.' The kicking and punching stopped momentarily. Evan kept his eyes tightly closed but was thankful to his saviour. Evan could hear yelling between James and his hero, but in the midst of a panic attack, he couldn't hear what they were saying.

'Hey, hey, shhh. It's alright. He's gone.' Evan blinked his eyes open. It was Connor.

'Shit, you're having a panic attack aren't you? Fuck, um...' Connor pulled open his phone and searched up how to help with a panic attack.

'Hey, can you try and breath with me? Ok, in for 3, hold for 4, out for 3.' Connor says, breathing in deeply and trying to get Evan to follow his example.

'Very good! You're doing great! Umm, can you name something you see, hear, feel and smell?'

'Umm, I, I s-see you, I c-can hear the b-birds in the trees. I can f-feel your hand in mine.' Connor looked down, he hadn't realised he was holding Evan's hand. 'And I c-can smell a pine tree.'

'Great, Great, you doing just fine. Do you need a hug?' Evan nodded. They sat like that, Evan with Connors arms wrapped around him, just rocking backwards and forwards for about ten minutes.

'Thank you,' Evan said once his breathing was back to normal.

'It's no problem. You're a great person and I couldn't just watch you getting beat up.' There was a small pause but then Connor continued.

'I was wondering maybe, when school started again, if you wanted to be like, you know, friends?' Evan looked up surprised.

'You really want to be friends with me?' Evan asked.

'I mean, only if you want to. It was a stupid idea, never mind I just thought...'

'No, no I would love to! That would be great.' They both smiled. Happy for the first time in what felt like forever.