Medieval day Pt. 1

'Connor! Con! Are you excited?!' Evan almost yells, running up to Connor's locker after school while Connor collected his bag.

'I mean, not really, my birthdays always a drag but I guess if you are-'

Evan cuts Connor off.

'No, not your birthday silly, they school has announced the dates of medieval day!'

'Um... what's medieval day?'

Evan gasped dramatically.

'Only the best day of the entire year! Everyone comes to school dressed up as like, royals or peasants or something, and then instead of classes, there's like, jousting lessons with cardboard sticks, and dances, and a cookery class I think...'

'Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. Nah, I always skip those. I just tell my parents that it's a day off or some shit. Why go to school when you don't have to?'

'But it's so much fun! Please come this year!'

'Fine, I'll think about it, happy?'

'I'm taking that as a yes. I'll start researching costumes tonight!'

'But- oh never mind.' Connor muttered to himself, Evan having had already run off.

...

'So,' Evan said to Connor, laying out multiple sheets of paper. 'These are my ideas for costumes. I wasn't sure if you wanted to do a couple costume or not. Sorry, am I being too excited about this? We don't have to plan this now, it was a dumb idea anyways.' Evan starts packing the papers up almost as quickly as he laid them out.

'No, no, I love the idea of a couple's costume Ev!' Connor holds Evan's arm, bringing him back to the table.

'Ok, so I was thinking of going as like, knights. I think there might be some chainmail in my costume box from when I was younger... Anyway, I saw a few knight helmets for sale at the dollar store around the corner, and I'm sure that there will be some other parts like a chest plate and boots there too.'

'That sounds really good!' Connor kisses Evan's forehead

'Great. Do you want to go there after school tomorrow? Glee club was cancelled so I'm free for once!'

'Ok sure. Whatever makes you happy.' Connor stands up and walks towards his bedroom. 'Do you want to watch something on Netflix?' He calls out to Evan.

'No! There's no time! We still have to make the bread out of barley and rye for our lunch for Thursday, and then make some mustard because the medievals liked that, and then roast some chicken and-'

Connor cut Evan off. 'Ok fine, fine, we won't be watching any stranger things tonight I guess.'

'Ok, let's get cooking!'

...

Medieval day was a success. Hundreds of students milled around the school as knights, kings, princesses, farmers, all kinds of folk. One person even came as the Bayeux tapestry. Evan was delighted.

'Hey Evan, Connor, nice costumes!' Alana exclaims, sitting down with them in the cafeteria. 'Oh, and I see you brought authentic medieval time food. I applaud your dedication to this wondrous day!'

'Mmhm do you wanna try some?' Connor offered Alana his sandwich, his mouth full and his words muffled.

'Um... no. Thanks. Zoe is getting me a slice of pizza from the canteen.'

'Waddup, losers?!' Jared walks over, fully dressed up as a purple jester, wearing one of those ridikulous hats. 'What did you think of that fencing lesson. I beat Dana P so well that by the end of it, her nose was bleeding.' He proudly stated.

'Dana P just tripped over Jared's outstretched legs and fell on her nose. That's hardly classified as a win.' Alana chimed in.

'I still beat her, and there is nothing you can do about it.' Jared stuck his nose up in the air.

'Whatever helps you sleep at night,' Connor added. 'Ok, well, I have an appointment with Sabrina Patel about a homework issue. She says that I'm not doing anything and taking credit for her work. But she knows that if I do any work, I'll probably just end up getting high because I'm bored and end up writing something real weird.'

'Connor!' Evan smacks his boyfriend.

'What? I'm just stating facts.'

'Ok, see ya later Ev.'

...

It was now after school at the murphy household, Evan and Connor still in full knight costume, playing Clue on the floor.

'Was it Mrs. White with a knife in the games room?' Connor questioned Evan.

'I've got the knife.' Evan told Connor, who then crossed it off his list. 'Ok, my turn. Connor, was it-'

But then Evan stopped for he heard a noise.

'Did you hear that Connor?'

The two both stopped their game and listened intently. There it was again! A small squeak, like a mouse, and a scuffle.

'Is anyone else home Con?' Evan whispered worriedly.

'There shouldn't be, Mom's at yoga, dad's still at work and Zoe is supposed to be revising for her science test at Bea's house.

They heard the noise once more.

'Ok Ev,' Connor said, taking charge. 'Slowly, and carefully, pick up the swords and give one to me.'

Evan did as was instructed. He was tense, and a bead of sweat appeared on his forehead.

'On the count of three, we are going to run through that door and confront whatever beast is there. One. Two. Three. Aghh!!!'

Both boys screamed as they pushed open the door and ran into the room. But stopped suddenly. For they saw a sight they never expected.

'Oh my gosh,' Whispered Evan.

'Oh My Gosh!' Screamed Connor

A/n: Part two, coming to ya next week!