Heathers AU pt.1

'Stop, stop, STOP.' Mr Reyes shouts from the back of the auditorium.

The cast stop, panting. They were in the middle of rehearsing 'Big Fun' for their school production of Heathers.

'Barrett, I know that you are capable of playing Veronica, but we need your ankle to heal quicker! You sure that the doctors can't do anything?'

Barrett looks down sadly.

'I'm sorry Mr. Reyes. My doctor says I just have to let it heal naturally.'

'Ok, well, let's hope that you are fine for the night of production. Continue Everyone!'

They continued rehearsing for the next couple of minutes before Mr Reyes stopped them again.

'Ok, good job everyone,' he says, rubbing his temple as if he has a headache. 'Rehearsal is over. See you again tomorrow after school.' He shoos them away.

The cast slowly disperse away.

'Hey Evan!' Jared says, running up to him in full Chandler costume. Evan was proud that Jared had got a leading role. He himself hadn't wanted to audition because Connor Murphy was there, and, well, you know.

Evan knew that he would make a fool of himself in front of his lifelong crush.

Of course, Connor had got the part of JD. Just in everyday school, he was dark and mysterious just like JD, so no one was surprised by the casting choice.

Connors sister, Zoe, had also got a lead, as Heather Duke. Jared always joked about Evan having a crush on Zoe, even though Evan was definitely gay. Jared joked about it all the time.

The last lead, Heather Mcnamara, was played by Alana Beck. Evan was stunned that she was taking on yet another extra-curricular. She said she needed it for her college or extra credit or something.

Now, Evan was always interested in theatre to a certain extent. So, while he didn't want to be a part of the cast, he had asked to be stage manager.

And, being stage manager had its perks. You know, being able to see Connor shirtless while he changed costumes...

Evan blushed and shook his head to get rid of the thought, before realising that Jared was still talking to him.

'So, I don't think Barrett will be able to go on, meaning she will need an understudy. Mr Reyes said he was going to start casting this week. You should audition Evan. There are a lot of scenes I'm sure you'll have fun in. Dead girl walking you know? With Connor as JD.' Jared wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

'Oh, um, yeah. Ok. Maybe... haha.' Evan stutters out.

You know, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to audition for Veronica. Evan thought to himself. I mean, Jared is right, I will get to do dead girl walking...

Evan blushes even harder and pulls his sweater down a bit.

'O-ok, see you later, J-Jared.' Evan says as they split ways.

...

'H-hi, um, I'm Evan. Evan H-Hansen, and I am a-auditioning f-for the role of, um, Veronica Sawyer. So, uh, yeah.' He finishes lamely

Evan takes a deep breath and tries to steady his breathing as the music for his song begins to play.

'Mozart was crazy,

Flat fucking crazy,

Bat shit, I hear,

But his music's not crazy