Heathers AU Pt. 2

Today was the day. He was going to do it. Evan knew every stage direction, every bit of blocking, all the lines, every single fucking harmony.

He took a deep breath, and walked out of his dressing room, fully clothed as Veronica Sawyer.

'Hey Evan!' He heard a call from behind him and turned around to see Christine. 'Do you need me to do your makeup or are you fine to do it by yourself?'

'Makeup?' Did Evan need makeup? It hadn't even crossed his mind.

'I'll do it!' Christine says with a smile, dragging him down the hall into the makeup room.

She pushes him down onto a chair and pulls a bag towards her.

'Ok, close your eyes. I'm just going to put a bit of blue eyeshadow on first.'

Evan closes his eyes and hopes for the best and that he won't look like an idiot.

A surprisingly long time later, Evan hears Christine shout 'Voila!' and he opens his eyes.

Christine shoves a mirror into his hand so he can admire her handiwork.

'Wow,' Evan mutters, surprised with the outcome. It was actually quite good.

He hears some footsteps walk into the room and a voice say, 'Everyone, Mr Reyes wants us to go onstage for vocal warmu- wow. Evan!'

Evan turns towards Connor, accepting his fate that his crush would never love someone who looked the way he did.

'I, I know, I l-look dumb, b-but I mean, I-I'm supposed to look like V-Veronica, right?'

'You look fucking Amazing Ev!' Connor strides over and looks Evan up and down, admiring him. Evan blushes a deep red and mutters something incomprehensible.

'What was that?'

'Let's just go and warmup.' Evan says, clearer now. He runs out of the room and towards the stage to get out of that awkward situation of Connor watching him while he looked like a girl.

...

It was finally time. Evan could hear the audience talking from the wings.

Mr Reyes walks into the stage and moves in front of the curtains.

'Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm proud to announce that this seasons musical is Heathers, performed by my amazing group of theatre students. Now, if you have a look in your playbills, you will find a little slip of paper. The role of Veronica Sawyer will now be played by Evan Hansen, as Barrett Wilbert Weed had to pull out last minute due to an ankle injury. But, the show must go on. Give it up, for Heathers!'

The audience politely applauses and Evan steps onto the stage. His stomach fills with butterflies as the curtain raises quietly. He takes a deep breath. Why is he doing this?! What is he doing up here? What was the first line again?

Oh no. Evan had forgotten how it started.

He starts to panic and go sweaty. Luckily, the audience couldn't see anything as the stage was still dark. Mr Reyes had told him to start whenever he was ready. But what if he was never ready?!

Evan looks into the wings helplessly. But then something happens. Connor, the most amazing, brilliant, hot person there was slowly walked onto the stage.

He gave Evan a quick hug, looked into his eyes and said, 'You are amazing. Just go out, and get 'em!'

And with those few words of encouragement, everything came flooding back to Evan. Connor left the stage and Evan stepped forward.

'September 1st, 1989. Dear Diary.' The lights shot up and the music started blaring.

Evan danced and sang his way through the first few scenes, finally managing to have fun while on stage.

Beautiful, Candy store, Big Fun, all the scenes that had seemed so daunting were finally more of a thrill of happiness!

But then, it was time for the scene that Evan was most nervous about. Dead Girl Walking.

Evan took a shaky breath, willing the butterflies in his stomach to calm.

'The Demon Queen of high school has decreed it.

She says Monday, 8am I'll be deleted.'

Evan realised though, the further he went in the song. No one cared that Evan was up there. The audience weren't watching him, Evan Hansen. They were watching Veronica Sawyer. And she was going to have the best fricking time in her whole life with JD.

With this burst of confidence, Evan continued, stronger than he had ever rehearsed before.

He strolled over to JD's bedroom.

'Sorry, but I really have to wake you.

See I've decided I must ride you 'till I break you!'

The scene was the best it had ever been. Evan got Connor's shirt off flawlessly, the blocking was perfect. It was only at the end of the song that Evan began to worry. Connor always had trouble belting that last note.

He crossed his fingers in his blazer and... Yes! Connor had done it flawlessly!

They finished the song and the audience broke into applause.

The rest of the show went flawlessly, and at the end of the show, the cast got a standing ovation. When Evan ran onstage to take his bow, the audience screamed and applauded, if possible, louder.

Evan couldn't stop smiling, even ten minutes after the show ended and he had changed and taken his makeup off, he could still be found with a big grin.

'Hey, Evan. Good job! You were great!' Connor says, walking into the makeup room to take his own makeup off.

'Th-thanks, you too!' Evan replied. Evan tied the laces on his shoes, getting ready to go to their opening night party.

'So, Ev, I was wondering. Tonight, when we go to the party, would you like to come with me?'

'Oh, uh, yeah sure!' Evan says, oblivious to Connor's hints.

'Like, together, ya know.'

'Y-yeah, sure. Wait, you mean like... a couple?'

'Yeah. Is that alright? It's just, ok, this is hard, no, bad? No, rough. So, for a while now, I've had some strange feelings. At first I thought that it was just being high or whatever, but after testing being sober for 5 days in a row, I realised it wasn't this. I like you Evan. Like, really like you. Would you like to go to the after party with me, together, as a couple?'

Evan was shocked. Was this really happening? His life-long crush was asking him out. Connor took Evan's stunned silence for an answer and looked down sadly.

'Sorry, I know it was stupid, you're probably straight anyway its just-'

Connor was cut off as Evan pulled on his sleeve.

'No, Connor wait! Yes. I do want to go to the after party with you. Together. As a couple. And if it was alright with you, I'd like to maybe go on a date with you?'

'Ok, sure yeah! Are you free Friday night? There's a good movie playing at the local cinema.'

'Yes, I am. Um, can I do something crazy?'

'Um, sure, ok.'

Evan reached up on his tippy toes and gave Connor a quick peck on the check.

They both blushed a lot and looked away.

Connor reached down slowly and took Evan's hand in his.

'You ready? C-c-c-c'mon, Lets go.'

The two walked out of the theatre, hand in hand, ready to face this party together.

A/n: I'm sorry it was a shitty ending, I promise I'll get better at ending stories.