Birthday Surprise

A/n: Hey Everyone, it is my birthday tomorrow, so in celebration, here is a birthday one shot! Enjoy. (Also it is longer than usual, and I am kinda proud about that)

Evan woke up. It was Saturday morning, and he rolled over groggily.

It was Evan's birthday. Now, you would think that Evan would be excited by this, but it felt like just any ordinary day to him.

He slowly got out of bed and wandered towards the kitchen. Seeing his mom left a sticky note, he walked further into the room.

Hey Honey!

Happy Birthday! I left you a present on the table and some money for lunch. I'll be home around 4 and we can have a nice dinner. Have a great day, and have anyone over, ok.

Love, Mom

Evan sighed. It's not like he expected anything better though. It had been like this for the past 11 years, ever since his dad had left them.

Evan sank down onto the couch and put on some crappy cartoons that seemed to always be on repeat. He considered calling Connor, but then decided that he didn't want to bother him.

Evan was a little hurt by the fact that Connor had forgotten his birthday, but then again, had Evan ever told him what day it was?

He pulled the birthday present his mom had left him over, and slowly began to unwrap it.

It was a new video game! Apocalypse of the damned! Maybe he would invite Connor over next week to play it with him.

...

By around lunch time, Evan was starting to get a little hungry.

He opened the freezer and saw a container of cupcakes that his mom had made who knows how long ago.

He pulled one out and stuck it in the microwave.

Once it was ready, Evan got a candle out of the cupboard and stuck it into the cupcake.

'Happy birthday to me,' he sang. 'Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday Dear Evan Hansen. Happy birthday to me.'

He finished the song on a slightly minor note and took a tiny bite out of his cupcake. It was a very delicious cupcake.

Evan heard a squeak from the cupboard, and sighed. Not another mouse!

He went to retrieve the mouse trap from the basement.

Once he got back to the dining room, he put the mouse trap next to the cupboard, then walked into the lounge room to watch TV for a little bit.

About halfway through a Brooklyn 99 episode later, Evan heard the mouse trap go off.

And then, Jared's whiny voice yelling 'FUCK, FUCK, WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A MOUSE TRAP THERE?'

Evan ran into the dining room. Why was Jared here?

As soon as Evan ran into the room, Jared froze in his spot and stared at Evan.

'Shit, did you hear me?'

'I think the whole town heard you Jared. What are you doing?'

'Um, just, ahh... Giving my favourite family friend a nice pat on the back for passing that maths test. I mean, I reckon you were the only one who passed. Yeah. Haha.' Jared scratches his head awkwardly.

'Um, did the mouse trap catch you?'

'What? Uhh, no, it just skimmed my face, I'm fine.' Jared looked around awkwardly, not knowing what to do.