Awakening

A/n: Hey! So, I took my laptop to my schools tech people and I don't know what they did, but somehow, all my stuff saved and I got it on Icloud so here is the next chapter!

(Part three of A Masterful Attempt Ends with Disaster)

It had been 12 days since Connor had swallowed the bottle of pills and tried to end his own life. 12 painstakingly long days.

The doctors had been expecting him to awaken a few days ago, but Connor seemed intent to stay unconscious for as long as possible.

Evan was sitting next to Connors bed, holding his hand.

Over the past week and a bit, Evan had gotten to know the Murphy's quite well. He had found out that the family loved skiing, but Connor hated it. He knew that Connor had been to rehab to try and sort out his drug problem. He knew the family was broken, but deep down, they did all love each other. Deep, deep down.

'Has he shown any signs of waking?' Zoe asks, entering the room and closing the door behind her.

'Um, no, not yet...'

Zoe had been through a lot, but she tried to hide it. It wasn't easy to want to look after Connor after all that he'd put her through. Zoe closes her eyes, and remembers all the times he's come home drunk, or high from a party, and tried to break through her door, screaming at the top of his lungs. That wasn't even the worst of it though. No one knew the depression and anxiety she had gotten from the verbal abuse from Connor and neglect from her parents.

'Ok, well, I'm going to do a food run. Do you want anything from the 7/11?'

'Uh... just a, a, um, water... please?' Zoe nods her head and leaves Evan in peace.

When Zoe leaves, Evan goes into full blown panic mode. Connor hadshown signs of waking. Evan had squeezed his hand, and Connor squeezed back, just the faintest bit. But when Connor awakens, what will Evan do?

Evan had told the whole Murphy family that him and Connor were best friends. When Connor wakes up, there would be no reason for Connor to help Evan. He would just tell the truth, and the Murphy's would hate him, and everything would come to an end, and all that he-

Evan's spiralling thoughts came to an abrupt stop as Connor had opened his eyes a fraction.

'Oh my god, uh, Connor! You're awake. That's, um, that's great. Uh, what should I do, sh-should I, should I get a nurse... um...'

'Evan?' Connor asks blearily.

'Yeah?'

'I just want a bit of quiet. Could you give me a few minutes before getting the nurse?'

'Oh, um, yes! Yes of course.' Do you want me to get you anything? Water? I think ice chips are good...'

'No, I'm fine.' They both settle into a silence before Connor croakily asks, 'Um, Evan, not to be rude or anything, but why are you here?'

Evan goes red.

'Uh, haha yeah...so... funny story...' He scratches the back of his head and trails off.

'You gonna answer my question or what?' Conner asks after a few seconds silence from Evan.

'Ok, um, please don't kill me. So, uh, when your parent f-found you after, well, you know... a-after you'd... attempted, they found a, uh, note in your p-pocket... My, uh, note. The one you, t-took from me that d-day. So, uh, yeah, they, um f-found it and thought that we were, you know, like, uhh... best fr-friends? And I didn't r-really know how to say no to this, so I kinda just, w-went along with it. So, now they, uh, they think that y-you and I are buds. I'm sorry, y-you can tell them the truth. God, I'm s-such an i-idiot. I'll just, uh, go now. Sorry.'

Connor sticks a hand out to stop Evan from leaving the room.

'Wait!' Evan turns around and looks at Connor quizzically.

'Look,' Connor continues. 'I would really like a friend, and it would make my mom really happy. I won't tell anyone about this if you will be my actual friend?'

'Really?!'

'I mean, I did kinda tell you to do this in a way. Not thisspecifically. But I mean, I said now we can both pretend we have friends. I guess you kind of took it to some new, fucked up level.'

'Um, Ok! Sure. Friends.' Evan sticks out his hand and Connor awkwardly shakes it.

'Here's my number. Text me later or something.' Connor says while he scribbles down his digits on a scrap of paper.

'C-cool. Um, thanks. I should probably g-get the nurse n-now or something. Um, Bye!'

Evan leaves the room as the Murphy's rush into Connor's room to finally see him. Evan smiles and hugs the number to his chest. Maybe, just maybe, they could be friends. Or even something more than this.