Coma

(Part 2 of Another Masterful Attempt ends with Disaster)

(Evan PoV)

Evan was having a panic attack. What was Connor going to do with his note? Was he going to tell people? Would he be the laughing stock of the school. Would it be like mashed potatoes all over again? (A/n: Would you like a one shot of the mashed potato incident? I've been rereading the DEH Novel and I thought it might be a fun idea!)

Something felt wrong though. Connor seemed to be giving up, rather than planning to ruin Evan's life. Evan knew Connor was unstable. Evan didn't want to be responsible for Connor getting high, or drunk or something.

Maybe he should go check on Connor.

Evan walks out of the building. He had a free period, so it didn't matter if he was out of class or whatever.

Where would Connor go? Evan thinks to himself. He looks around, hoping for an answer to appear.

And as if someone had heard his thoughts, he saw Connor walking out of the drug store just across the road.

Evan Follows Connor across the road, keeping his distance though so as not to be noticed by him.

The had been walking for about 10 minutes, Evan making sure to stay back and out of sight. This wasn't creepy, right? He only wanted to make sure that Connor didn't get high or anything.

Connor plonks himself down under a tree and fumbles with something. Evan tries to see what he is doing, but is too far away.

He sees something shine in the light and realises what is happening. Evan stands still, shell-shocked. Then, as if in auto pilot, he starts running towards Connor.

He reaches Connor and kneels down next to him.

'C-Connor, st-stay with me! Open y-your eyes. C-c-c-come on!' Evan dials 911 and explains the situation to the operator. They dispatched an ambulance and it was going to be there soon.

Connor opens his eyes a millimetre and Evan jumps up.

'C-Connor! You're a-alive!' Connor begins to close his eyes again and Evan freaks out. 'No! No, Con, stay with me!'

Connor mutters something.

'What?' Evan asks, desperate.

'Corn nuts...'

Evan's eyes fill with tears as Connor goes limp in his arms. There's a blur of red and blue flashing lights, and sirens, but Evan is too distraught to notice.

...

'Evan, can we talk to you?' Cynthia asks, coming out of Connor's hospital room and looking at Evan curled up on one of the waiting room chairs.

Larry follows Cynthia out of the room and they sit across from Evan in the uncomfortable, plastic chairs.

'Umm... we found this with Connor. We think he would have wanted you to have it.' Cynthia hands Evan a folded-up note. Evan unfolds it and realises what it is. Evan is speechless at first, but then is able to mutter something.

'Connor, he, um, Connor didn't write this...' Evan says unsteadily.

'What do you mean!' Cynthia asks, shocked but almost... hopeful?

'He's obviously in shock honey.' Larry said, trying to calm Cynthia down.

Evan thought. Did he really want the Murphy's knowing the truth? Deciding on the spot he said, 'Yes, yes, I um, I think I'm in shock. Yeah... that's it. Err... Is Connor, you know...' Evan drifted off, trying to figure out how to word it. 'Is he... going to be alright?'

Cynthia and Larry share a look.

'The doctors aren't sure yet, we'll let you know as soon as we do though.' There's a pause after Cynthia speaks. Then she says a little unsure of herself. 'I didn't know that you were friends with Connor, Evan. We didn't think he had any friends...'

'Oh, ahh, well. Yeah, Connor and I were the best of friends.' Evan says, playing along. And seeing the look of happiness on Cynthia's face made it worth it. He knew he made the right decision.

'Mr and Mrs Murphy?' A nurse comes in. 'We have some good news about your son. Would you like to go to a more private room?'

'No, we are fine in this room. And besides, anything you have to say to us, you can say to Evan.' The nurse nods at Larry's words and continues.

'So, we have had to pump his stomach, but we managed to stop most of the damage. We've run a few tests and he should be fine. He is hooked up to an IV at the moment, but we expect him to recover in a few days. There is a possibility he might stay in a Coma for a while though. The medication he is on has induced a controlled coma, but he has had a few liver problems which may lengthen the time he is unconscious. It could be up to 10 days before he will be wake up again. Everything is under control so there is no need to worry.'

Evan feels a sense of relief go through his body. Connor would be fine.

But then reality sunk in. He could keep up the act about him and Connor being friends, but what would happen when Connor awoke? He would tell the truth to everyone.

The Murphy's didn't notice as Evan went into a panic attack. Cynthia and Larry just hugged each other and left the room. 

A/n: Sorry, this is a little late, I haven't had much time recently. Part 3 coming next week!

Also please send me one shot ideas!