Chp 9

Michael's POV
     The show was beautiful and my little girl did amazing. I know she's in her 20's now, but to me she's still my little girl. It's truly a blessing to see your children come into their own. Paris always knew she wanted to get into showbiz. And now acting and modeling is her passion. Prince was more behind the scenes. He likes directing and producing. And Blanket is my little genius. He's a straight A student and aspires to go into the medical field.
Sometimes I look at my children and think to myself, how much I yearned to be a father at one point in my life. I felt so alone and broken, and then they came into my life and made me whole again. It was like a high, I was on top of the world. And that's exactly how I feel with Mia. Just knowing that I can take care of her, give her love, educate her young mind, teach her the same compassion I have for people in need; it simply makes me feel whole.
I was lost in thought in the car when Paris tried to get my attention to show me something on her phone. It was some random picture of shoes that she was planning to buy, and I took all my energy and pretended to be interested. Don't get me wrong, I love my little girl but sometimes I have to force myself to be interested in girly things for her sake. I tried to make Mia join our conversation too.
"Mia, do you like these shoes?" I asked pointing to the picture on Paris's phone.
"Dad, I asked you for your opinion. Not a little kid's," Paris said while glaring at Mia. God, it's begun. I looked at Paris disappointingly.
"Paris, cut it out please. You know that was out of line," I said sternly. "Apologize to Mia." Everyone in the car went dead silent. It was very rare of me to call out Paris on anything or admonish her. I have always been the most lenient with her, obviously against my boys' wishes. But I guess it's time that changed.
Paris rolled her eyes and glared at me. I stared right back at her giving her a look that meant I was serious. "Sorry," Paris mumbled reluctantly. And right away she went back on her phone and decided to avoid me the rest of the car ride.
Mia looked like she was a little upset. I'm guessing it's a combination of adapting to this new lifestyle and trying not to step on any toes. I think it'll be a lot easier once we go back to Neverland. There will be some routine in her life. It'll be easier for her to adapt.
We finally made it to the restaurant. We all agreed on sushi, but I wanted nothing more than to be in bed with a bucket of KFC. But it was a night to celebrate and we had to do something special. We reserved a room for dinner so we could have some privacy.
Prince and I were talking about a new Marvel movie we watched recently. We were discussing the graphics and the technology that was used in the film. Blanket and Mia were quietly talking about some Netflix show they both watch. I'm glad both of my quietest children found some common base. But Paris was just straight avoiding me.
When I was teaching Mia how to use chopsticks, Paris continued to shoot death glares in our direction. When I cracked some jokes with Mia and Blanket, Paris continued to glare. I knew all too well what was going on because, I myself experienced the same emotions when Mother brought Randy home. I was her youngest boy and the apple of her eye till Randy came along.
I can only imagine that's what Paris was experiencing at the moment. It was easier for me to get over that feeling with Randy since he was an infant. Mia may be a child, but shes too grown for Paris to see her as an innocent and harmless baby like I did with Randy. I took a deep breath and looked in Paris's direction.
"Paris? How do you feel about your show? Would you like to do more ramp walks now?" I asked.
"I don't know Dad. How do you feel about children? Are you gonna bring more strays home now?" Paris shot back. Everyone at the table went quiet. We all stared at Paris in disbelief. I nearly choked on my water. Hearing her say "dad" instead of "daddy" was a shock in itself.
"Excuse me? You wanna repeat that little girl?" I said as anger surged through my veins. I was about to open my mouth to say something to her again when I noticed Mia crouch down and cover her face. I could hear whimpering and realized she was crying.
"No Mia don't cry..." I said trying to console her. She looked up at Paris with her tear stained face, still whimpering.
"I didn't ask for this you know," she pointed out to Paris. That's all she managed to get out before she fell into my arms and sobbed. My heart broke for her. It really did. My children are normally so kind and well mannered. I don't know what's gotten into Paris. I understand her possessiveness over me but her attitude towards Mia was so uncalled for.
I asked for the bill in desperation of diffusing this tensed situation. We made it back to our hotel room and everyone dispersed into their own rooms. The car ride back was silent. I was in no mood for Paris's little outbursts and Mia was too scared to experience another one.
I loosened my tie and sat down on the couch. I poured myself a little wine to recap my day in my head. I don't regret adopting Mia at all, but maybe I was insensitive to think that all 3 of my children would be ok with sharing me with another person out of the blue. I took a deep breathe and stared out the window into the New York skyline.
I heard a tiny knock behind me. I turned around and saw Mia in her pajamas and disheveled hair. "Is everything ok babygirl?" I asked concerned.
"Umm I ha-had a bad dream," she whispered shyly. I motioned her over to me.
"You know you're safe with us here, right Mia? Nothing can get to you, light or dark. I will always protect you," I reminded her. I know today took a toll on Mia. I could see it in her eyes. She was no longer at ease.
I pulled her on to my lap. I rocked her back and forth with my lips pressed against her forehead, just like I did in the hospital. She slowly fell asleep in my arms as I stared into the nighttime skyline. This transition is going to be difficult on the kids, and me as well as a parent. But I'm ready for this challenge, come whatever may. This child belongs with me, with us. And soon, everyone will realize it too.