Chp 56

Mia's POV
     I held Daddy's hand as we walked into the hospital. We were greeted by a few doctors and other staff members. Everyone seemed very excited to meet Daddy. After some small talk, we made our way into the first room. The lights were dim so I couldn't really get a good look at the patient at first. It was a girl, not much older than me, with a bald head. We all greeted her with a smile, and she kindly returned a weak one.
     Daddy gave her a teddy bear, along with some candies. He also signed her an autograph. He took a few pictures with her and continued to talk to her for a bit. I was kind of in shock by all the different machines she was attached to. But I remembered how Daddy said not to make any faces. So I tried my best to keep a smile on my face, for the girl's sake. Prince, Paris, and Blanket held a conversation with her, but I was feeling sort of shy. Even a little scared, that I might say the wrong thing.
     "What's your name?" the girl asked me with a coarse voice.
     "Mia," I mumbled shyly from behind Daddy. I don't really like meeting new people. I've always been super shy in that way. Especially, when I had a list of rules to remember on what not to say or do.
     "My name is Elizabeth," she replied. Daddy slowly pulled me from behind him, and stood me right in front of him. He had his hands on my shoulders, encouraging me to talk to Elizabeth. She looked pale and had dark circles under her eyes. I couldn't help but notice the slightly purple bruises on her arms, from the IV. I knew most of the children here were going to be sick, I just didn't realize that they'd be this sick. I don't know why I assumed sick meant the flu.
     "That's a pretty name," I smiled. She let out a soft giggle. I could tell the movement that the giggle caused, left her in pain. She looked uncomfortable as she winced and shut her eyes real tight. "Are you ok?" I asked concern. Right away, I could feel Daddy's hands tighten around my shoulders, signaling me to shut my mouth. He pushed me behind him before Elizabeth could answer my question. He sat back down and rubbed her cheeks and head, before placing a kiss on both.
     "We're gonna have to start going to the other rooms now. It was a pleasure meeting you Elizabeth. Thank you for having us here today," Daddy smiled.
     "No, thank you for coming. Not many people visit me here," Elizabeth said with a sigh. I don't know why but that made me feel really sad. She was alone in the room, with no one there for her. Daddy pushed us to say our goodbyes before moving on to another room. I could feel my eyes tear up as we left Elizabeth's room.
     I guess Daddy noticed and stopped in his tracks, before crouching down to my eye level. "Whats wrong Mia?" he asked gently.
     "I feel sad," I said with a frown. "Elizabeth is so sick and lonely." I don't know why I felt so sad. I mean obviously this was no happy matter, but I didn't think it was going to move me to tears. Daddy wrapped his arms around me, and held me for a few seconds.

Michael's POV
     My heart felt heavy from the second we set foot in that room. This poor little girl has been fighting cancer for a good chunk of her life. She was in remission but then it came back. Her family wasn't that well off, so both her parents were constantly busy working. They still had to provide for their other kids. It broke my heart to find out that as a result, she spent a lot of time in that room alone. I made sure to leave a sufficient amount on a check with her nurse, before leaving. Just a little something to help out her and her family.
     When we left the room, I noticed Mia looked extremely upset, with some tears threatening to spill out. I thought maybe she was tired or just wanted some attention from me. But boy was I wrong. "I feel sad. Elizabeth is so sick and lonely," Mia cried. I knew my little girl had a heart of gold, but it was surprising to see just how much compassion she truly carried in that heart of hers. Normally children her age, can't grasp emotions like this so quickly.
     As proud as I was, I also felt like I made a mistake. Maybe Mia was still too young to have to be exposed to heartbreak like this. I mean these were children around her age, fighting for their lives. I can see how traumatic that can be for my little girl to witness. I decided to let her go into 2-3 more rooms with us, before sending her back to the hotel with Grace. It was getting too much for Mia to stomach.
     My older 3 and I finished up at the hospital, and left with heavy hearts. It truly is a joy to be able to bring some light into peoples' lives, even if it is just for a moment. It's beautiful to see their eyes light up at the sight of a new toy, or even having someone to hug them and give them kisses. It's the little things that we take for granted.
     The kids seemed a little glum after the hospital visit, but they were old enough to experience this and learn from it. I felt like this was a necessary part of my parenting, especially since my babies have lived such a sheltered and cushioned life. God has blessed our family in more ways than I can count. But there are so many innocent people out there suffering. We should do all that we can, to make sure we make their lives a little bit easier.
     Eventually our moods changed, and the kids were back to competing for my attention. Usually their biggest competition is Mia. She always has something to tell me, and never wants to leave my side. As much as I love that, I know my older 3 feel a little neglected at times because of it. The car ride back to the hotel consisted of lots of stories and laughter. I think I was finally starting to relax. It was a successful day with my babies. I can't wait for the next one!