Chp 71

Michael's POV
     Security rushed to me about some court document being dropped off at the gate. Now, I don't normally pick up any mail from my front gate. It would cause too much of a frenzy. But my security team urged me that this is something I should see. I left Mia under Mother's watchful eye, as I made my way to my security office. Needless to say, I was pissed. What could possibly be so important, that I had to leave my daughter's birthday party for this?! Obviously no one's dying. My entire freaking family is in my backyard right now.
     "Mr. Jackson," head of security greeted me. I acknowledged him with a nod, not in the mood to make conversation. "As you know, all your mail goes through us before it gets to you. It's another court document... you're being sued," he informed hesitantly. If I roll my eyes back any further, I'll lose my eyeballs.
     "Do you men realize how many times a week I get sued for something?" I questioned clearly agitated. "Why couldn't this wait till my daughter's party was over? Come on you guys, you know better than this," I said disappointed.
     "Sir... you don't understand. Please read this," he urged while shoving a big envelope in my hands. I let out a deep sigh before I started reading the documents. Once I fully registered what was happening, my heart skipped a beat. Fuck.
They can't do this. I shook my head profusely, not wanting to accept what was in front of me. "Call Mesereau. Now!" I ordered. I felt scared and angry, all at the same time. Mia's parents are suing me for trying to buy their daughter off of them. The document literally said abuse of power. What fucking power?! This basically said I kidnapped Mia. I might not actually be a jury's favorite, considering all the bullshit trials I've been dragged through. Fuck. This can't be happening!
I was in the middle of, perhaps a panic attack, when I heard a dreaded voice. "Michael? What's going on? You can't just leave your kid's birthday party like that," claimed Joseph as he crept up behind me. He is probably the last fucking person I want to hear from at the moment.
"You shouldn't leave your 9 kids and wife behind, just to screw the first piece of ass that walks by. But shit... nothing stopped you," I chimed back sadistically. I don't know what came over me, but Joseph is the last person I need parenting advice from.
"What did you just say to me boy?" he asked in that cold voice of his. To this day, that tone makes my spine tingle. I need to get a grip. Before I can make another smart ass comment about Joseph's infidelity/ lovechild, I was interrupted by my assistant.
"Thomas Mesereau is on the line Mr. Jackson," he informed me. Without taking another look at Joseph, I walked away to speak to my lawyer privately.
"How are you Michael?" he asked.
"I wish I could call you under better circumstances. I'm being sued," I said hesitantly.
"God, please don't tell me it's another kiddy bullshit case. I told you before, you need to stop being so damn generous to these greedy ass parents. They don't deserve it. If I could kick their ass each time they..." he continued with his rant before I interrupted. The man is very protective of me, especially when it comes to my unnecessary legal battles.
"Thomas.... it's about Mia. Her parents... th-they want her back," I said with fear lingering in my voice. "They're claiming I paid them off to basically buy Mia off of them." There was a brief pause before I heard a response.
"Bullshit! I went through the adoption papers myself!" he exclaimed. I let out a deep sigh.
"I know," I mumbled. I was at a loss for words. This is extortion, something I've experienced a million times before. But this time, there's a lot more at stake than just my image. I could lose my daughter. "Please tell me you can do this. I can't trust anyone else with something like this. I don't want to lose her..."
"Don't worry Michael. I'll handle it. I'm not letting you lose her," Thomas reassured me. "You know these leeches can't hang on for too long."
"Thank you," I mumbled.
     "I'll come meet you tomorrow with a game plan. Sound good?" he asked. We said our goodbyes, as I slowly went back to the celebrations. I took a minute to really take it all in. I could see all the kids on the rides and around the animals. Everyone's eating, dancing, playing, and smiling. Why can't my life just stay like this? Every time I think I can breathe again, or just be happy, something comes up. Something like this comes up, that threatens to take it all away from me.
     Many might not understand what adopting feels like. I never even thought I would get to see the day where I'd be so lucky to do so myself. But it's the fact that I was able to take this child from an unhappy and abusive household, and give her a new life. Monetary items excluded, I'm able to give her a life where love is all around her. I try to make sure I can teach her something new everyday. I try my best to keep her healthy and happy. And to think that those vultures are gonna come in, and turn this into something so ugly.... breaks my fucking heart.
     As I'm on the verge of tears, I feel my hand being tugged. I look down and see Mia grinning at me. "Daddy did you hear me? It's time to cut the cake! It's huge! And it's pink!" she exclaimed excitedly. "I want you to cut it with me."
     "You know I love you right?" I asked as I caressed her cheek with the back of my hand.
     "Yessss Daddy, I knowww. But come, it's time for cake," she said impatiently. I crouched down to her level, and gently held her chin in place.
     "No, listen to me. I love you no matter what. It's important that you know that. You are one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I will always love and protect you babygirl," I said sincerely. Before she could utter another word of objection, I pulled her into a tight hug. I tried to soak in all the love I possibly could before I let her go. "Let's go cut that cake."