Chp 10

Mia's POV
I woke up the next morning feeling crankier than usual. My ribs were still hurting and the room was too hot. I was sweating in my thermal pajamas. I tried to get up and noticed this big arm wrapped around me. I turn around to see Michael blissfully sleeping like a child. I remembered coming to him last night. I guess I fell asleep here. I didn't wanna wake him but I felt suffocated under his arm.
"Michael.... Michael....," I whispered gently. He didn't move a muscle. "MICHAEL," I yelled a bit too loud. His eyes shot open and he jumped up.
"What?!?! Are you ok? What happened?" he asked in panic.
"Relax, I just wanted you to move your arm. Sorry I scared you," I apologized. Michael slapped his forehead with his hand and stared at me for a few seconds. I couldn't tell if he was angry or not.
"I'm sorry," he said as chuckled. "I didn't realize my arm was too strong for little miss Mia," he joked.
"Hey! I could've moved that arm myself if I really wanted to. I just didn't wanna wake you," I defended myself.
"Well look who's still awake," Michael said while raising both hands. I couldn't help but giggle at his reaction. "You can go to your room if you want Mia. I can ask Grace to set up some breakfast for you in bed."'
"No I wanna stay here with you," I said as I snuggled into him. He smiled and laid back down on his pillow. He wrapped a blanket around me and closed his eyes again. I spent the next 20 mins staring at the ceiling and out the window. But I began to get bored and wanted to do something.
"Michael?" I said quietly.
"Yes Mia?" Michael said as he took a deep breath, with his eyes still shut.
"Are you still sleeping?" I asked knowing the answer already.

Michael's POV
This girl is not gonna let me sleep today, I can tell. "Not anymore," I replied with a smile. She smiled back and jumped up in bed.
"Do you wanna play a game with me Michael?" Mia asked. I was so exhausted from last night. Every time I tried to put Mia in her bed last night, she began to whimper in her sleep. She was in a very deep sleep, so she refused to wake up as well. I guess she was having really bad nightmares.
After 4 unsuccessful attempts of putting her back in her own bed, I took her back into my room and held her in my arms till I guess I fell asleep myself. It literally felt like I was putting a newborn to sleep. And by then it was already 4am. As exhausting as it was, I loved the fact that Mia felt comfortable and safe in my arms. To know that my love for her was being reciprocated meant the world to me. I'm hoping that soon she'll feel comfortable enough to start calling me "Daddy" as well. Fingers crossed.
"Sweetheart, why don't you go see if any of your siblings are up. Play with them for now, I'll come in a bit," I suggested.
"Mmm no I wannnna play with youuuuu," she whined. Now Lord knows I despise when any of my kids whine. It's always been a pet peeve of mine and my children know to avoid whining around me. But I couldn't expect Mia to know that.
"Mia please don't whine. There is no need for that. How about you go wash up. And I'll be right out, ok?" I said. Mia nodded excitedly and ran out the room. Well, I guess that's it for my sleep this morning. I brushed my teeth and walked out of my room to start my day. Prince and Blanket were still asleep in their rooms. Paris was up in the living room watching tv. We haven't spoken to each other since her little outburst last night.
"Good morning Paris," I said as I plopped down next to her.
"Morning," she responded without taking her eyes off the tv screen. I guess she was still in a mood. I grabbed the remote from her hands, and turned off the tv to get her attention.
"Hey!" she exclaimed. "I was watching that you know."
"I know. But I'm trying to have a conversation with you. I would like your undivided attention Paris," I said.
"What do you wanna talk about?" she questioned while rolling her eyes.
"Well how about we start with that attitude of yours. I don't know where it's coming from, but it's gotta go babygirl," I said sternly. She took a deep breath and looked the other way. I knew she was getting frustrated by the minute. But I needed her to communicate with me instead of lashing out on people around her. "Paris? Look at me please," I said.
She turned around and I could see tears were going to burst out of those big blue eyes any second. My heart broke into a million pieces. I realized my little girl was hurting and it was pretty much my fault. I should've slowly transitioned her into this new family dynamic. I should've known this would be especially hard on Paris, she's always been Daddy's little girl.
     I pulled Paris closer to me and brought her into a tight hug. She immediately started sobbing. I wanted her to tell me what I could do to help her feel better about all this. But I learned a long time ago that babies don't come to us with manuals. And it doesn't get any easier when they get older. I was the parent and I had to figure out a way to fix this, for both Paris and Mia.
     "I don't wanna lose you Daddy," Paris managed to say in between sobs.
     "Babygirl, you're never gonna lose me," I reassured her.
     "But now you have a little girl again. I'm not your favorite anymore. You're gonna like her more," Paris sobbed.
     "Sweetheart... now you know that's not true. You will always be my little girl, even when you're 90," I chuckled. "But Paris, I know I taught you better than this. I taught you and your brothers to always open your heart to others. Love everyone. Mia comes from a very tragic household. She never experienced much care. We need to shower her with love. Make her feel wanted. She's no different than Prince and Blanket. I love you all 4 equally, believe it or not," I continued.
     Before Paris could respond, Mia ran into the room and exclaimed, "I brushed my teeth! I'm ready to play now!" This little girl was so excited, her face was beaming. But her timing couldn't have been more wrong. Paris needed me but Mia was expecting my time and attention.
     "That's very good sweetheart, why don't you go wait for me in your room. I'll be right there," I said. Paris looked up at me and gave me an annoyed look. Mia stared at me and pouted. Both my girls wanted my undivided attention at the moment, and I couldn't figure out what to do. I took a deep breath and decided Paris needed me more at the moment.
     When I noticed that Mia was still standing there waiting for me, I reminded her my instructions. "Mia, please wait for me in your room. Your sister needs me right now ok?"
     "But I need you too," Mia whispered.
     "Aw I know babygirl and I will be there soon," I said. Mia still did not budge. God this was gonna be hard. "Mia," I warned. She continued to stare at me with Paris in my arms, getting angrier by the minute. I could practically see smoke coming out of her ears. I took a deep breath and looked at her sternly. "Go wait in your room Mia, NOW!" I said loudly. Mia needed no more convincing after that. She stomped straight into her room, without another word. I hate having to raise my voice at her. Boy was I torn.
     "Just go play with your new little girl. It's whatever Dad," Paris said dismissively.
     "No Paris, I made Mia upset to speak to you. I don't want the two of you to hate each other. You both are sisters now, you both are gonna have to share a father and two brothers. You have to get used to it. I don't have a favorite daughter Paris. So don't even think like that. I love you all equally!" I reminded her.
     Paris took a deep breath and wiped her last tear away. "Fine. I'll try to get used to it. But promise me you're not gonna forget me," she said.
     "Never babygirl," I responded.
      "Ok go play with "princess" before she has a tantrum," Paris said giggling.
     "Paris," I warned. She put up both her hands in defense.
     "Sorry, I had to get it out of my system," she laughed. "But seriously Daddy, I promise to make an effort. I won't let you down," she said. I smiled and pulled her back into a hug and cradled the back of her head in my hand. I love this girl so much, words cannot explain it.
     "I love you Daddy," Paris mumbled into my chest.
     "I love you more Paris," I responded while kissing the top of her head. I got up from the couch and walked towards Mia's room. One crisis averted, time to tackle the next one. I knocked on Mia's door before entering, to show respect for my little girl's privacy. I opened the door and my mouth dropped open. What the hell happened in here?!?!?

To be continued