Chp 62

Paris's POV
     Everyone always makes me look like the bad guy. I'm not oblivious to how the rest of the family views me. I'm like the outcast. Just because I like to do things my way, everyone thinks of me as this rude and weird rebel. I know my eccentricities always freaked them out, but I mean... hello! I'm Michael fucking Jackson's daughter! We don't follow the norm. And that's one thing I can proudly say I got from my Dad. I don't care what society says, I do what I want. I follow my gut and do things my way.
The last few months have been hard. I tried laying off the drugs. I really did. But Chris was still doing lines when we went to various parties. It got hard for me to not want it. I would see Chris's euphoric escapes night after night. I wanted that too. I wanted to stop thinking and stop feeling. I didn't want to think about the pressure, about my career, about losing my Dad to some little girl we picked up from the middle of no where. I simply wanted to be numb. And that's exactly what I did.
I never meant for Daddy to find out. But he can never stay out of my business. I'm done with all of this family bullshit. I want to move in with Chris. It would be such a big deal for the both of us. I feel like it'll help solidify our relationship as well. And I can finally get away from this new father-daughter duo. Don't get me wrong, I'll always look out for Mia. But I have conflicting feelings. It was all sunshine and rainbows, till I realized that I lost my Dad to her.
     At first when she was clingy to him, I thought it was a phase. But then I realized that this was their new normal. Call me jealous or whatever you want, I know how I feel. I wish Mia no harm but I hate what she's done to my family. Everyone is obsessed with her, including Prince and Blanket. Blanket and her argue a lot but it's always something small or petty. And Prince is super protective of Mia. I can't say the same when it comes to me. Look at what's happening now. Neither of them even came up to see if I was okay. Mia's probably hogging up all their attention.

Michael's POV
     Jermaine helped me arrange a placement for Paris, in a secluded and well known rehab. My hands shook as I talked to my lawyers on the phone, about all the nitty-gritty details. I didn't want a single tabloid finding out about this. There were non disclosure agreements they had to form for the rehab and their facilitators. I never thought I would see this day. I silently wiped some tears that escaped my eyes. I don't know how I got here.
     "Mike... you're doing the right thing. You know that right?" Jermaine said as he brought me in for a hug.
     "I don't know," I said simply. "I thought I was doing things right this whole time. But I was clearly wrong. I failed as a father Jermaine," I said shakily. Just then I heard the door bell ring. Jermaine and I walked out of my office to find pretty much the whole family there. The adults mostly. All my siblings were there, and most of their children. But none of their grandchildren. Thank God. We're about to have enough chaos in this house as it is.
     LaToya had already explained everything to them on the phone. Everyone was prepared for the worst. But I wasn't. I didn't know what to expect of myself. I didn't know what role I played in this whole thing. She hates me right now. So how much or little should I even speak? All these thoughts race through my head, as I stared off into space. I was desperately wishing all of this was a bad dream.
     All I could see flashing before my eyes, were memories of Paris. I could see her tiny little body sleeping in my arms, her chubby little hands holding my fingers as she took her first steps, her first time riding a bike, her first tooth fairy visit... my baby is no longer a baby. I could once again feel tears spill out. Janet noticed the pain on my face and came up to me. She gently wrapped her arm around mine, and laid her head against my shoulder. We sat in silence like this till it was time to bring Paris down.
     We all sort of looked around, silently trying to decide who would go get her. "I'll do it," I said in almost a whisper.
     "You sure? I can go get her if you want," Janet offered.
     "I got it Dunk, thank you," I said before placing a kiss on the top of her head. I made my way up the stairs, trying to prepare myself for the worst. Just as I was making my way towards Paris's room, Mia jumped out of no where and screamed in my face.
     "BOO!" she yelled and burst out into a fit of giggles. I jumped back, obviously not expecting Mia to come out like that. "Daddy, were you scared?" she asked excitedly. I was stressed out beyond anyone's comprehension, and little pranks like this is the last thing I need. But from the look on my little girl's face, I didn't have the heart to burst the bubble she's in. I took a deep breath and got down on one knee, to get her eye level.
     "I was scared," I replied gently. "Where did you come out from?" I questioned. She had a mischievous look on her face, and a wide grin. Looks like Blanket has been rubbing off on this one.
     "It's a secret," she answered. I was too worried about Paris's situation at the moment to interrogate this one.
     "Ok mama, now can you do me a favor please?" I asked. She answered with a quick nod, letting me know to continue. "I need you and your brothers to go to stay in your rooms for the night okay?"
     "But whyyyy?" she whined.
"Please don't question me tonight babygirl. I don't have the energy to scold you or anything else for that matter," I replied exhausted. And I was. I was absolutely exhausted with my life at this point. I wanted to give up and stop caring. But how does one do that when it has to do with your children?
"Ok Daddy," Mia said while placing a kiss on my cheek. This was the fastest I've ever convinced this little monster to do... well, anything. I looked at her kind of shocked and watched her skip back into her room. This left me alone to do what I really came up here for. I opened up Paris's door, without bothering to knock. She gave me a glare before rolling her eyes.
"Come downstairs please," I stated simply.
"Why?" she replied with attitude. I let out a sigh, trying to gather what little energy I had left at this point.
"Do as you're told," I replied. I watched her huff and puff, portraying her resistance till she couldn't stand my stern daggers any longer. She finally came out of bed, and stomped her way down the stairs. I followed behind her, my heart beat all out of sorts. We were quickly met with everyone's stares. Everyone was silent for a moment.
"What's going on?" Paris asked confused.
"Come sit with us baby," Dunk spoke up.
"I'm fine right here," Paris answered coldly. I didn't know what to do from here. She already hates me, and I can't even bear to think about the ultimate result of this "family meeting".
"Paris, what's been going on lately honey?" Tito asked. God bless him for taking the lead tonight!
"Nothing's been going on," Paris mumbled with her arms crossed.
"Honey, we know you've been using—" Tito started before Paris broke him off.
"UGHHHH! Why is everyone always in my business?!" she screamed at no one in particular.
"Okay Paris... I'm gonna need you to get rid of that attitude. Enough. I know you don't like this, none of us do. But you have to be respectful towards everyone in this room. You know this already," I admonished. She already hates me, there's nothing to lose now. That shut her up, giving Tito a chance to continue.
"Why have you been using?" he asked.
"I don't know," she mumbled.
"I know you're old enough to understand what these drugs can do to you. You're putting your life on the line..." he said with a frown.
"It's not like I'm the only one who does it," Paris replied.
"Really Paris? That's your argument? Come on now. Cocaine is no joke. You're gonna kill yourself," Marlon spoke up. All of a sudden, I noticed Paris start shaking, with tears running down her face. Nobody knew what to say at that point. Nice. Quite an intervention. I'm going to kill Jermaine and LaToya after all this is over. I went over to my little girl, and wrapped my arms around her, with one hand cradling the back of her head. She buried her face into my chest, and sobbed.
     "Paris, look at all the people that love you in this room," I finally spoke up. "I know you're hurting baby, I want to help you. Let me help you," I said in almost a whisper. I ran my hand through her blonde strands. "Will you let me babygirl?" I asked gently. As mad as I was at her, I knew things weren't right. She needs my love more than discipline. I felt her nod her head yes into my chest.
     "Sweetie, we found a great program for you. It'll only be a few weeks, and—" LaToya started before Paris broke out into a screech.
     "WAIT NOOOO... DADDY!" Paris yelled. "Are you really sending me away? Stop... please I'll change I promise...." she cried.
     "Shhh mama," I cooed while rubbing her back. "I'm not sending you away, it's going to help you... I promise. You'll be back before you know it," I said gently. I was trying to convince myself, more than her. My heart ached at the thought of not having her with me.
     "I know you hate me right now, but please don't make me go," she cried. My poor baby was crying so hard, she dropped down to her knees in desperation. I couldn't stop my own tears anymore. I fell to my knees and cried with her.
     "I don't hate you Paris, but you need this. I'm not doing this to get rid of you. I love you more than you can imagine... please try to understand," I practically begged. We stayed like that for a few more minutes, until Dunk decided to break us apart. She offered to go on the ride to the rehab with her. I wanted to go too, but everyone thought it was a bad idea. They knew if I had dropped her off, I would change my mind. And they're probably right.
     Once Paris walked out those doors, my sobs were uncontrollable. How did things get this bad? I've helped millions of children around the world. Yet, when it came to my own children, I failed them. I should've noticed the signs, I should've been more attentive to her feelings... I should've been a better father. Minutes after Dunk and Paris left, I felt completely numb and cried out. I don't know what I'm going to do.