Chp 70

Michael's POV
The day had finally come. My little girl was turning 11. Every time I look at Mia's little face, it hurts my heart to think that I missed out on so many precious years of her life. I never got to see her take her first steps, or hear her say her first words. But for some reason, it still feels like I have a brand new baby. Getting to know her and everything she likes/dislikes, it's been a blessing. And now we can celebrate by ringing in a new year of her life.
I have a big day planned for her special day. I'm having some people come in to pamper my little lady for the day. She can get her hair done, nails done, and maybe a tiny bit of makeup for the party tonight. I'm having all our friends and family come over tonight. The party's theme is circus. We even have people coming in from Cirque du Soleil to perform for us. The event planners are currently setting up everything on the ranch.
Mia has no idea about any of this. She knows we're having a party. But she has no idea to what magnitude we're having the party. I know all of this is a bit over the top, but I don't care. Mia has brought so much joy to all our lives, especially to my life. I feel so complete as a father. I'd do anything to show my love and appreciation for this little girl.
As the day progressed, my girls were getting pampered to their little spa treatment. Prince and Blanket paid their "old man" a visit. My boys wouldn't miss one of my outlandish parties for the world. Note the sarcasm. "Dad, you know Mia won't care about half of this stuff," Blanket chuckled.
"I knowwww," I whined. He's got to be the 10th person telling me this since I've started planning this party. "But I was just as over the top for you and your older siblings. I'm not gonna be cheap for my last baby," I clarified. This was met with some intense eye rolls from my boys.
"Wait till the little diva hears you call her a baby on her 11th birthday. You know that girl is 11 going on 30," Prince laughed.
"Boy, y'all can be in your 60's for all I care. Still gonna be my babies," I declared proudly.
"Dad... do NOT get sappy. Bro this is our cue to get out of his way, before the hugs and kisses begin," Blanket warned his brother.
"Yeah go. Leave your old man like you always do," I chuckled. They laughed along and made their way over to the arcade. Not gonna lie, it's been kind of hard to get used to everyone leaving. The boys are out, and Paris is looking for a place as well. My gang is all grown up. As happy as it makes me, it makes me just as sad. I miss my babies. I was quickly taken out of my thoughts as I heard some feet shuffling behind me.
"Daddy! Daddy look! Look at my nails!" Mia exclaimed as she shoved her tiny little hands in my face. She had a gaudy hot pink on her nails, to match the color on her lips.
"That...." I said pointing to her lips. "That is way too bright."
"But it's my birthday," she pouted. "Please can I keep it on?" The look on her face made it so hard to say no. I've been doing a good job putting my foot down when it came to her putting on makeup. But this girl seriously loves it. She even likes to watch Karen put it on me religiously. I never knew something so boring, can keep a hyper little girl so intrigued.
I let out a deep sigh before replying to her. "Since it's your birthday, you can keep it on just this one time," I said. I know, I'm a wuss. I gave in. But it's her birthday. She returned my nice gesture with a tight hug. I checked the time and sent Mia off to get dressed. Guests will be arriving any minute now, and I needed to get dressed myself.

     Everything looked perfect

     Everything looked perfect. I made sure I took care of some finishing touches with the event planner before Mia came down. All the guests were starting to arrive. Soon, Neverland was packed with people, laughter, and fun. Kids and adults were getting on rides, getting their faces painted, watching the performers, etc. Mia finally came down, decked out in her new outfit and all that makeup. The expression on her little face made all of this worth it.
     Her eyes went wide and her mouth dropped open. I walked over to her and smiled. "What do you think babygirl? Do you like it?" I asked enthusiastically. She looked around for a few more seconds before speaking up.
     "A-all this is for me?" she asked in almost a whisper.
     "Yes silly, it's your birthday. This party is for you," I explained. It felt strange explaining what a birthday party was to an 11 year old. Maybe this isn't what she wanted? She seems a bit off. The less she talked, the more I started to worry. "Hey," I said while nudging her shoulder gently. "Do you not like it mama?"
     "I... I love it Daddy," she replied while her voice broke. A tear went down her cheek.
     "Mia, why are you crying?? Sweetheart if this is too much, we can go back inside," I said. Maybe she's feeling shy with so much attention on her.
     "N-n-no one has ever celebrated my birthday like this," she muttered. No one? And then I realized. She's talking about her biological parents. She hasn't mentioned them in so long, it almost had me a little choked up. It was on this day, a year ago, when I found my little girl in the hospital. A year go, she got the life beaten out of her because she asked for an extra plate of food. I wonder if she's even thinking about that incident.
     Mia slowly slumped into my side, while holding my hand tightly and nuzzling into me. She was definitely thinking about that incident. Whenever she feels vulnerable, she gets very attached to me. She gets stuck to me like glue, almost as if she's hiding from something. "Hey mama, it's okay. We're gonna have fun tonight. I'll be with you the whole time," I assured her while I ran my fingers through her curls. Her frown slowly turned into a smile, leaving us no choice but to participate in all the fun.
     Little did I know, that the fun was going to be wiped out by a single piece of envelope. Everything I worked so hard for this past year, everything Mia worked so hard for... all of it was going to be erased in a matter of seconds. We're going back to square one...