Chp 47

Michael's POV
     This past week has been pretty uneventful. It's been a drag to be honest. I keep getting calls from my manager to do appearances and performances, requests coming in from all over the world. But not a single part of me is interested. I don't want to be in that scene again. I'd rather be at home, doing nothing, than have to be on stage right now. Consider me, officially retired. Ok, who am I kidding. Maybe not officially, but just for now.
     The kids were all in their respective classes, so I decided to take this time and get some reading done. I ate my breakfast while engrossed into my book. Around noon, I saw Paris dragging her body down the stairs. "Good afternoon sleepyhead," I called out.
     "Mmm agdh-noon," Paris mumbled.
     "Sweetheart, that wasn't even a real word. Wake up!" I chuckled. The days Paris didn't have to work, she was a complete slob. She sleeps in till whenever, and stays out till whenever. I have my guards on her at all times, but it still doesn't make me feel any better about her lifestyle. I watched her make herself a bowl of milk and cereal, right before joining me at the table.
     "So what are your plans for today?" I asked curiously.
     "Nothing," she said while staring at her bowl.
     "Not a single thing?" I asked. She nodded her head no. Paris used to be the brightest out of all my children. She used to be the one most eager to learn. I'm sure she still is, but she lost that motivation. I regret not pushing her into going to college. I tried my best, I really did. But at the end of the day, I didn't want to force anything on her. When she told me about her interests in modeling and acting, I was relieved in a sense. At least she had goals. Because for a minute there, I started doubting it.
     "Paris you have so much free time. Why don't you take some classes at Prince's college?" I suggested.
     "Dad please! Not that school shi—stuff again," she grumbled. She caught herself quick, but it didn't go unnoticed.
     "Maybe a college education would help with your poor vocabulary," I said with a tinge of annoyance. Hell, I was annoyed. As much as I hate saying this, what would she have done if she wasn't my daughter? Would she have sworn of college so easily? Opportunities may come her way for being a Jackson, but an educated mind is what will help her no matter what she does in this lifetime.
     I continued reading my book in silence, as Paris stared off into space while chewing on her cereal. "What is it that you want to do Paris?" I questioned. She gave me a confused look. "As in goals?" I prompted. Paris simply shrugged and went back to staring into space. I snapped my fingers in her face and said, "I'm talking to you girl."
     "Dad... please I'm still sleepy. Why are you asking me all these questionssss," she whined.
     "Paris. I asked a question and I expect an answer," I said sternly.
     "I don't know... more modeling gigs I guess. Maybe a role in a movie. But not school. It just isn't for me. Please, I don't want to have that fight again with you Daddy," she said pleaded.
     "Fine, you claim school isn't for you. So you want to work, correct?" I asked.
     "Uh I guess," she answered.
     "Fine. Then on the days you're off, which seems like every damn day, I want you to go on auditions and casting calls for brands. You're not gonna get work in this industry by sitting at home all day like a bum," I said harshly. I knew I was being sort of mean, but Paris needs the push. She has these phases where she's super motivated, and then she has phases where she gets too comfortable.
     "I'm not a bum," she said with those big blue eyes staring back at me. How did my little girl grow up on me so quick? Those eyes could make me melt in a matter of seconds. It feels like just yesterday we were having tea parties and playing with tiaras. And now I'm sitting here, lecturing her on her career goals. Time sure flies.
     "I never said you were one babygirl. But you're habits sure make you seem like one," I replied gently. "I don't want the world to view you as just Michael Jackson's daughter. I want people to see your talent and hard work. And you're gonna have to give it your all, you hear me?" I lectured.
     "Yes Daddy, for the ten billionth time. I hear you," she growled. I know I've given her this same speech a thousand times already, but I can't help it. I'm a parent, and parents worry. It's a lame excuse, but it's the only one I got. I continued to lecture her, boring her to death. I was interrupted with my cell phone ringing. Paris took this as her cue to make a run for it. I watched her leave the table, and disappear up the stairs.
     I answered my phone, to yet another call from my manager. "Frank... I swear to God if this is another call about that stupid Grammy appearance, I will lose my shit!" I said raising my voice.
"Mike, relax! I got good news for you this time. The trip is planned. We're all ready to go!" Frank exclaimed.
"What trip? I didn't authorize any trip Frank," I said angrily.
"Michael... THE trip? That vacation you won't stop bugging me about? Ring any bells?" he shouted.
"Ohhh yeah! I'm so sorry Frank. I didn't mean to raise my voice at you. I've just been dealing with so much that..." I began before Frank cut me off.
"Don't worry about it. I know, trust me. I know you pretty well by now, you don't need to explain anything to me," he replied understandingly.
"Thank you. But gee, you pulled that trip off pretty quick," I chuckled.
"Come on Mike, I been in this game with you for decades now. I know how to get shit done. That's why you still keep me around," he said in his burly voice. I laughed at his remark, we sure have been in this for a long time. It's been a bumpy road, but we're still standing strong. "All the necessary staff have been taken care of, we'll be ready to fly out by this weekend. Sound good?" he confirmed.
"Sure does Frank. Just one question. Where exactly did you plan the trip for?" I asked curiously.
"All over Europe buddy. And if we have time towards the end of the trip, we can spend 2-3 days in Africa. I know you asked for either or but I just couldn't decide man. I know Africa is your favorite place, so I'm gonna try to squeeze it in," he assured me.
"Thanks Frank! God, the kids are gonna be so excited," I said with glee.
"No problem Mike. Give them my love. I'll call you soon. Bye," he said.
"Bye," I replied with a cheesy grin on my face. I couldn't wait to tell the kids. They needed this just as much as I did. All this hoopla around me breaking the Thriller record, has really made the kids and I recluses in Neverland. We can't go anywhere. I'm somewhat used to it. But the kids are having a hard time with all this added media attention. We need to get out of the country for a bit. Not that it would make much difference for us anywhere else in the world. But American media has always been a little more brutal with me than the rest of the world.
I was looking up activities the kids and I can do while on vacation. Disney is a MUST! I don't care which country I'm in, if they have Disney, I'm going. But I want this trip to be just as educational, as fun. I want my kids to learn all the rich customs and culture. This is gonna be great! I heard my phone ring again and groaned. This better not be work related. I'm too happy to even think about work right now. I turn my phone over and see its... Lisa Marie. What does she want now?