05.

five; the umbrella academy

Sabrina had been waiting outside her apartment building all day. She didn't have any shifts to work which meant she had nothing to do, so she was hoping to see anything suspicious and ultimately fight for the good of the people. She could test her luck at being the hero Jack wanted her to be, maybe even prove her abilities to herself. But, to her rotten luck, the day had been quiet. There was only the odd jaywalker or accidental shoulder knock between two strangers, nothing bad. It sucked.

Sighing deeply and pushing herself to her feet, Sabrina shoved her hands deep into the pockets of her leather jacket, kicking a rock from the pavement onto the road. She watched the stone rolled out a few feet before it stopped idly, sitting still. She held in a bored groan. Of course, the time she finally wanted to put her power to good use, nothing was happening.

"You again," a familiar voice caught her attention, and the woman glanced up quickly to see a man stepping out of a beat up car. It was him. "Hey, Brie."

"Diego," she nodded in greeting, before quirking an eyebrow. A weird feeling had bubbled in her stomach, something she only got when he arrived. It was the idea of a thrill, of some kind of exhilaration. "You're not stalking me, are you?"

"Small city," Diego smiled softly, crossing his arms as he stepped towards her. Sabrina felt a tingle in her fingers as she usually did when she sensed danger, though this time it was strangely subdued. Maybe it was because he was capable of hurting her, but he wouldn't. "We're bound to see each other from time to time. What's with the double jacket? You know winter's over, right?"

"Are you really one to talk?" she retorted at the jeer towards her hoodie and leather jacket, and he chuckled in response. It was a strange relationship they had formed. They didn't see each other on a daily basis, yet when they talked there was a certain ease. It was refreshing and exciting, nothing that Sabrina had ever experienced before.

"So, what're you doing out here?" he inquired, standing opposite her and leaning against the railing to the porch of her apartment building. "People watching?"

"Trying to keep an eye out for crime," she admitted, and he tilted his head in amusement. Of course he thought it was funny. She frowned. "Once again, are you one to talk?"

"Sitting outside and hoping something bad happens isn't how it works," Diego said, pulling out a knife from his leg holster and twirling it between his fingers. "If you go out looking for trouble, you might not find it. You need to let it happen."

"And I suppose you know all about that?" Sabrina hummed, leaning forward a little bit with curious eyes. Diego scoffed lightly, though his lips remained upturned. "Why don't you teach me your ways? You can be my vigilante mentor."

Diego didn't even bother to consider. "Absolutely not."

Sabrina groaned and reached out to grab his arm as he began to walk back to his car. He was too quick though, and left her awkwardly catching air. "C'mon, we could be a team!"